what is easiest?

It's much more a question of your management style, your facilities and how you choose to handle them, than it is the breed of chicken. There are some breeds that are trickier, though -- I gather Seramas and Silkies can be a bit difficult. If you want standard large fowl breeds, though, they will all be much the same.

All chickens require the same basic care..that is food and fresh water every day, with fresh water refills several times a day in very hot or freezing weather. Clean bedding, a safe coop and socialization too! Half an hour a day every day plus an extra hour once a week for coop cleaning for a flock of a dozen or less large fowl type chickens should be good. BUT.....most of us spend quite a bit more time with our girls than that because we get addicted to them and find out how friendly and social they are. Then we become like the gamers online...we can't get anything done for messing with our chickens!!!

I guess what I'm trying to say is most common breeds of chickens get along with a minimum of time from us,but they really flourish the more time we spend with them. The more time you are with your birds the sooner you see disease and injuries and can do something about it.

It's not about "the easiest to care for" or "takes the least amount of time to care for", it's about enjoying our chickens...sitting in the yard tossing out treats....having them run to you and want to be held......coming to you for protection when a hawk flies over.....

Otherwise a better question to ask might be "what egg laying machine can I buy that requires very little money and effort on my part to maintain for maximum egg production".

I think the English breeds. Some of the Mediterranean breeds are high strung an flighty.

I would say the Orpingtons are nice , even though I am partial to the Delaware. Also the Orpingtons come in such nice colors.

I wish you well,

Rancher

Quote:
Correct! Our Buff Brahmas get their foot feathers pretty nasty at times like we are going through this week...already over 6" of rain in 4 days.

I have several feather footed chicken breeds amongst my mixed flock. Yeah, they do get muddy feet. But they are always preening and keeping their outfits neat, even their feathered legs and feet. I've never cleaned their feet for them.

When it gets to be cold enough, I plan on checking the feather footed ones on the roost to see if they don't have frozen mud stuck to 'em...

Mediterranean breeds are much more flighty than standard laying breeds. They don't liike to be held as much and are harder to catch, be buddies with, etc. Banty cochins and Silkies go broody ALL THE TIME, and would not be good if you are looking for an egg laying breed.

Orpingtons. I find them very quiet, very very tame and pretty gentle. They are heavy bottomed birds and tend not to fly very well, so they don't escape. Ours come in the instant it goes dark, on their own. They seem to get along with each other extremely well

Back
Top Bottom