What is easy cheap way to have chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenchick2011, May 7, 2011.

1. chickenchick2011

chickenchick2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    shelby ohio 44875
    I am seeking easy cheap way to have home for chickens. I am going to be moving and there is a little barn looking storage place out side i was thinking I could use. But then no way for them to get outside to eat grass or get fresh air. Not sure how to put fencing on and around it so the chickens don't get lose. I do have like 12 foot fence so they can't get out the yard I don't think. But It still worries me anything thoughts?

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    First check your fence around your yard and make sure it is predator proof. You shouldn't have to worry about the chickens getting out, but what can get in to them. Next,..the building would have to have some roost poles and nest boxes installed. If all were predator proof,...let them free range in your yard of the day,..and lock them up at night securley in the building. Simple. [​IMG]

3. Sheepy

Sheepy Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Can you post some pictures of the building? I'd like to try to give you some good ideas! [​IMG]

4. chickenchick2011

May 7, 2011
    shelby ohio 44875
    yep i can go there in few days and get some pictures. I am not able to have it yet because the people have not moved out yet. I can try to find picture of it online. The people used it for tool shed but it looks like mini barn lol

I have no idea how to add picture to this site. The thing in my picture is what theirs looks like that I get to use. Different colors but same thing lol

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They'll need a little opening, like a dog door, for them to go in and out. Unless you want to open the big door and leave it propped open during the day. You can make a little door to cover the opening, so you can lock them in at night. This is to keep them safe from predators. It can be as simple as a piece of plywood. Use sturdy hardware and wood screws to attach it. Nails can be pulled out.

You'll also need to add ventilation openings. This is very important! These let fresh air in and humid air out. They're also extremely important to let excess heat out in the summer. Otherwise your chickens can over heat. They'll need to be covered with 1/2" hardware cloth, to keep out predators.

A 2x4, flat side up, makes a good roost bar for them to sleep on.

Nest boxes to lay eggs in can be a wood box mounted on the wall or a crate on the floor. People use lots of different things.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. chickenchick2011

May 7, 2011
    shelby ohio 44875
    There is small windows up away from the ground. I was just going to open one or two of those on the back side that way they would still be safe and still get fresh air too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by