What is eating the heads off our birds

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CAMOCLUCKS, Oct 28, 2010.

1. CAMOCLUCKS

CAMOCLUCKS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    St. Elmo, Illinois
    What ever it is, it eats the heads off and then leaves the rest of the bird lay. It has gotten hens, roosters and turkeys. Any ideas would be great and what to do about it. We live in central illinois.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    raccoons

3. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    possums will do that to.

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Yeah, I vote raccoons. What a shame about your birds...

5. zoo2u

zoo2u Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Virginia
    I would actually say weasels as they are known to do this and can get in through fairly small areas.

6. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Get some traps and bait them with the remains of your birds. Make sure the trap can hold a raccoon and has a fairly tight mesh so it will also contain a weasel.

Remember to check state law on protecting your animals as it frequently allows for trapping without a trapping license and out of season to control predation of "farm" animals.

Then dispatch what you catch, do not relocate.

7. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I happened to catch a possum in the act in my coop this summer. It had eaten the head off two chicks. If I hadn't gone up to the coop, it probably would have gotten the other two. [​IMG]

Jen

8. Gingersprite

Gingersprite Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    Bethlehem, PA
    From my experience, raccoons, though I have heard the same for weasels (but i've heard they'll slit the throats too and not necessarily eat the head) and owls too. A raccoon killed one of my girls and it was horrible, her head was gone and it also ate the crop out of her chest. Disgusting, even if it was just following its instincts. I will never forgive my not protecting that chicken better, she was separated from the flock because she was blind and I had her protected but the top of the door opening was only covered with heavy avian netting and that's where the raccoon got in, climbed on top of the wooden building, swung down over door overhang, and pulled the aviary netting out in the upper corner where it was stapled to the small opening to the outside. If that makes sense. point is he was wiley and must have been studying my temporary set up to "protect" her. I trapped that night and the next and caught that raccoon and I never thought I could kill an animal willfully but I shot it in the trap, I just couldn't relocate the problem, or let it go for that matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by