What is everybody doing to "winterize" their ducks this year?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckiefanatic, Dec 12, 2012.

1. duckiefanatic

duckiefanatic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    For us we just put tarps around some of the sides to block the wind and the top to block the snow.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

nuttin'

We don't get much severe weather, so we don't do much for winter different than any other season.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I like to have a nice base of compost and straw the ducks can walk on. Once the ground gets really frozen, or there has been a bunch of snow, I like to have some kind of straw or sawdust to put down so they can get off the snow or ice.

The ducks' night shelter is well insulated year-round, so that is covered.

I also stretch a cover over the top of their day pen if it is supposed to snow, to keep that off the pen area instead of having to shovel it. On sunny days I roll the cover back to let sunlight in for warmth.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I put heated buckets in lol I also got rid of the pools, they are dangerous if they are not kept open. They have access to the barn so they don't need any extra shelter.... they have 1/3 of an acre fenced so it's not possible to tarp, cover, enclose etc. They are all full flight and will leave sometimes to forage.

I did toss some romaine lettuce this morning for some greens but i keep it really simple with the ducks actually.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Nothing. It can easily get to 20 below (F) here.

My birds have shelter from the weather that is available all year round. They get a good diet, so they are getting adequate calories. The only thing I do different is to go out and break ice off their ponds twice a day and I top off all the ponds on any day that the hoses aren't so frozen that I can't get water to the birds. If I can keep enough water in the ponds, I can just break ice and don't have to bucket water to the birds.

The geese usually break their own ice. The ducks sit around and complain about the ice until I come out and break it for them.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  6. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

I can relate!!! My ducks complain about the craziest things. Silly creatures. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by