What is Fluffy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jonross, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jonross

jonross Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Fluffy was incubated and hatched in my daughter's first grade classroom. The egg came from the school district (Los Angeles). We've taken Fluffy (named by the first graders, of course) home to join our chickens (Black Australorps, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, and Red Star) but we have no idea what she could be. Coming from the school district I have to imagine she (hopefully she) is some kind of very average and standard bird. Though I have to say, I don't know if it's her breed, or spending her first three weeks in a classroom full of kids but she is extraordinarily friendly and wants to be held all the time. She's about three weeks old. Does she look familiar to anyone? Thanks for the input.

(I'm obviously a newbie ... trying to attach a photo ... not clear how)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    [​IMG]

Hello and welcome to the forum! In order to post pics on the forum you must first post a certain number of times. Browse around and post a few times....then try coming back to your thread to post your pic. Eventually it will work. To post pics here you can click on "uploads" link at the yop of the page, choose your pic to upload and then submit. Then copy the image link at the bottom of the pic and paste it into your thread. Hope that helps. I'm sure once you post a pic someone here will be able to help ID your bird. [​IMG]

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, that. [​IMG]

In the meantime, you can post a written discription of the bird and we can try to assist... But try to post around some.

4. jonross

Jun 20, 2011
    Well, I guess my first (or second) post will be to thank you for taking the time to welcome me and tell me how to get out of this somewhat frustrating new phase.

So Fluffy was all yellow only for a day or two, but then when the first wing feathers started coming in they were sort of brown and white striped. Now she's three weeks, her head's still all yellow, but then below that her feathers are brown with dark brown, almost black stripes. Then, as you go further down the feathers start to have white tips and that increases as you get to the wings.

I'd think it'd be impossible to identify her from that verbal description. Well, off to post ...

Thanks again.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    What kind of comb is developing? Does the chick have feathered legs? Beard/muffs? Extra toes? What color are the legs?

6. riverscape1

riverscape1 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    [​IMG]

You'll find lots of helpful people here with lots of knowledge and love for chickens. I'm a newbie too and I've been trying to ID a cockeral that I got from a school hatching project. I didn't have to post too many times before I could upload a picture to this thread. We'll be looking for Fluffy.

7. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    You can post from photobucket

8. jonross

Jun 20, 2011
  9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    [​IMG]

If she's from an average hatchery that sells the average popular breeds, I'd say she's most likely a production red. They're really good laying birds! She's too young to tell the gender of yet though.

Keep posting pictures of her, she's adorable!

10. jonross

Jun 20, 2011
    She was free from the school district so I have to believe she's as common a breed as there is. Ironically, though, she's anything but common. She's completely unlike our other six chicks (four of which we've had since they were a day or two old and that we played with every single day) in that she wants to be picked up and held ALL the time. She only seems happy sitting on someone. She'll run right over to you. We'll be really sad if she turns out to be a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by