What is going on here. White crested black silkie????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Phage, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    This little guy hatched today. It is black a with lavender/grey topnot, wing tips and breast. On right of pic.

Do white (or blue/lavender or whatever) crested black silkies exist?
    Any ideas what it will turn out like? It is pure silkie, but not sure what color the parents were.

Also what color is the grey one behind him going to be?
    Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    [​IMG] No idea, but keep us updated as it grows!

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Dark blue perhaps?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:That's what it looks like to me.

WCB's are much more defined than that one.

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Hey Phage! The one with the funky colors could turn out to be black, but I am guessing it will be blue. And, the other one looks to be either white or splash. Is it more gray then yellow? If so, it is splash and then it would make more sense that the other one is blue.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    That's a blue baby. The color will even out over time. Nice chick!

Edited to add: The one behind him looks like a splash. That is their typical coloring at hatch. Over the next couple of weeks you should start to see the splash markings start coming in. The other thing it could possibly be is porcelain, but I don't know where the eggs came from and whether the breeder has porcelains. If you got them from "kelar", then it looks like 2 whites, 2 buff, 1 splash or porcelain and 1 blue.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  7. Phage

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:The grey one looks real grey like the lavender chicks I have been hatching (orps and amercaunas). There are lots of white that are obviously white especially the ones that hatched this mornng (they are still popping out like crazy up to 14 or something). Also several more that are like the funky one, but less "black". Will repost with all when they are all out.
    Thanks for the help.

8. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:The grey one looks real grey like the lavender chicks I have been hatching (orps and amercaunas). There are lots of white that are obviously white especially the ones that hatched this mornng (they are still popping out like crazy up to 14 or something). Also several more that are like the funky one, but less "black". Will repost with all when they are all out.
    Thanks for the help.

Was there a possibility of getting Lavs? If so, that is awesome! Be sure to post pics on the other thread tonight and have Bob look at them and see what he thinks.

9. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    OOOOOMMMGGG, he is so cute! Would be way to cute if he stayed like that.

10. Phage

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the help.

Was there a possibility of getting Lavs? If so, that is awesome! Be sure to post pics on the other thread tonight and have Bob look at them and see what he thinks.

Thanks Acid, just conversed with the breeder and she does have lavender genes in her flock. Will post pic of all 16 chicks in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by