what is going on?? mereks??? please help..rickets?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, Jun 9, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Please help! I don't know what to do! I have 7 week old bantam naked neck chicks. I had them in with another set of chicks ranging from 10 weeks to 7 weeks. Here is what the brood consists of:
    5 Japs we hatched from our own eggs
    4 ameroucanas and 3 hamburgs we hatched from eggs we got at a show in April
    3 campines we got from the show as chicks
    7 NN chicks we got from a friend (I know she has healthy birds!)

they where all in a playpen together, a little crowded but not to bad.

about 2 weeks ago I was feeding everyone and noticed that one was not moving around very well and kept laying down. I separated her then the next day her legs where worse she couldn't walk at all and her legs where going strait out. Not splay b/c she was on good bedding and it wasn't sudden but over time. She could move her legs so I wouldn't say paralyzed. She would flail about and kick her legs. I made her a hammock, she could eat and drink. I forced vitamins. Someone suggested worms so I gave them all a round of sulmet. It didn't help he though, she died about one week later. I separated all the NN's to give them all some more room and since they where smaller than everyone else. Now I have another chick with the same problem!

week legs, one thing I noticed is her toes are kind of curling. Now she can't walk and her legs again are strait out one going front the other back. She seems healthy other wise, not skinny, no lesions, her eyes are clear, her throat is clear.

I don't know what to do, is this going to take them all out one at a time?? Could this be mereks? Would it be working faster if it was? If it is mereks, where would it have come from? I have no hatchery flock who have been vaccinated, my older flock that contains hatchery birds haven't been around them. What else could it be? I am going to have to cull this chick to save it from a slow painful death since it can't eat or drink. Should I attempt to get it tested for mereks to be sure? I am not sure how much that would cost. If it is how can I stop it from spreading through my entire flock? help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. ParadiseChickens

ParadiseChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Dont cull it until you read my post "Need Some Help Please - Another one Dead". I have the same problem with one that I am treating and 3 others have died. This little one is beginning to look promising but time will tell. The symptoms are some of the same as yours especially the laying down and the legs one going out front and one backwards.

Good Luck to you, I know its tough. P.S. - in Texas too - DFW area.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    oh, I forgot to mention that the first one did have bloody poop, but there doesn't seem to be any this time. But I already treated with sulmet for everyone.

4. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    anyone? [​IMG]

after closer examination of her joints they do look swollen but not with fluid. I can see her "knee" joint, the bone. I don't know if that helps but it looks like arthritis, her toes are curled and legs are like ceased like someone with severe arthritis. Her legs are strait out in front of her, when she tries to control her legs and move it's like they go up instead of down. She can eat and drink if I hold her so she can. I don't know what to do, she seems like she might be in pain, that or shes trying to walk and can't. [​IMG]

5. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    does no one know? I haven't gotten much of answer since the first time [​IMG] I don't want to loose anymore chickens, trying to determine if it's a disease

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    UGH! Sorry you don't get an answer to your very important post. Seems like the emergency posts hardly get any answers. I've been through this myself. I do not know what is wrong but I sure hope someone with some ideas will chime in soon for you. Good luck.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It happened to me last month. I tossed the feed I had. The only thing that kept coming up in reading was aspergillosis. But also check botulism. Sorry

8. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    well, it died this morning. I tried to help it one thing I noticed is that it's whole back end was very red, not sure if I will ever figure out what it was. I am praying everyone else will be alright.

9. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Well, if it is still fresh or if another one dies, please get it to a vet or your state lab. They will usually do necropsies for free or a very reduced rate for poultry. You need to find out what this is before your lose your entire flock! Good luck; keep us posted...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by