What is going on! Never many eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marilyn1954, Dec 16, 2014.

1. marilyn1954

marilyn1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Small town America
    I have 12 hens and 1 rooster. Hatched April12 2014. They started laying in September and I have gotten 4 to five eggs a day. EVERYDAY. My friend has 2 hens and gets 2 to 3 eggs everyday. WHY DO I GET SO FEW eggs? They free range, get crumbles, pellets and our dinner left overs, and fresh water daily. WHATS UP?

2. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    What breed(s) do you have, and what breed(s) does your friend have? Are these hatchery stock, or from somewhere else?

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Chickens aren't genetically programmed to lay on the same day as others their ages, even if they are the same breed or variety. Each one has it's own internal schedule and nothing we can do can change that. All of the things you are doing are the best way to have healthy, happy chickens but do not guarantee an egg a day per hen. I have 3 Red Sex Links among my flock of 10 assorted chickens, for example, all the same age, bought from the same place. One started laying when she was 19 weeks old. Another waited until she was 25 weeks, and the last one was 3 weeks after that. So there's no need to worry that you are doing something wrong, or that there is something wrong with your girls. Also remember that the shorter days slow laying down - that's the way Nature designed them and although some will lay all through the winter, a slow down is perfectly natural and nothing to worry about as long as you know that they are healthy.

The most difficult word for a chicken owner - me especially - has to learn to hear with a smile is "patience." I have none, but my chickens try what little I do have to the max. It was that way waiting for them to arrive, to feather out, to go out and live in the coop and learn to roost, to start laying, and finally for the broody to hatch out the eggs I gave her. I've said it before and I'll repeat myself.....This chicken raising stuff would be a lot easier if they would read this forum and the books!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  4. marilyn1954

marilyn1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Small town America
    I don't know what breeds my friend has only that they are white lol.
    All my chickens are ornamental, Polish, Cochin, Dominique, grey dorkins etc.
    I don't really care how many eggs we get, I was just wondering. We are surprised how we do love them all and that they are really no different than having a dog. Most of them come running for the treats we give them but more than anything they come running for the loving.

5. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Sounds like your friend might have white leghorns, which is an ultra high production breed that has a reputation for laying an egg a day. You just can't expect that kind of production with ornamental breeds. An egg every other day would be more typical, which is in line with your numbers, considering that this is the off season anyway and chickens don't lay as well in winter. Enjoy those birds! They sound healthy and pampered! :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by