what is going on!? Please give me some advice here...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by foxypoproxy, Nov 17, 2011.

1. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    OK so i'm really stressed and ive researched and researched and now i'm just worried and confused.

So I went outside to let my chickens out today and i noticed my little black tailed white Japanese has swollen skin around her eyes...
    It must have just happened over night because she was fine yesterday..

Here is some back story on her:
    So i started off with 1 polish bantam (that i found months ago, was sick, brought to vet and hes been better ever since) and 1 standard wyandotte ive had for about 6 years.
    I wanted to get more chickens, for company etc.
    So i bought some chickens and they were shipped to me all from the same place.
    I now have 1 silkie pullet, 1 silkie roo, 2 japanese, and 1 bantam ameraucana.
    I quarantined them in my garage away from my other 2 chickens.

When i first got one of the japanese i realized her eye looked pecked and had a bump.
    I thought nothing of it, then later on her eye got bubbly and skin around her eyes swelled.
    No other symptoms like bad smell, sneezing, or discharge anywhere.
    I started to get nervous so i brought her to my avian vet.
    He thought she has some infection in her eye and gave her tetracycline for me to put in ALL their waters and an eye ointment.
    I had all the new quarantined birds on that antibiotic.
    She was separated from the other birds.

I started using the eye ointment in her eyes and then her bump started to bleed and puss came out and her eye looked more irritated.
    I called the vet and he said thats good the puss is draining and to continue treatment.
    Eventually more bumps came up on her face and i discovered it was fowl pox.
    I was waiting for almost a month for all the pox marks to finally scab and drop off.

After that they all seemed fine.
    No other symptoms from anyone that i thought i needed to worry about.

So they were all integrated into their new coop and run and have been fine.
    Until...then i noticed the silkies had lice egg sacs stuck to their face [​IMG]
    I'm not quite sure when or how it happened. Maybe i didn't notice before because i was so worried about the little japanese...idk..
    Anyway so i checked them all. Most of them had lice but the silkies had the heavier infestation.
    So, i dusted them all with poultry dust and also sprinkled in the dusting baths and then put poultry dust in the coop and perches.
    So far its better then it was before and it looks like in a week or more we may get rid of them completely...i still don't know how they got it
    When they all got here i cleaned them and gave them baths and blew dried them and cleaned their cages everyday..
    Ive tryed to do everything humanly possibly to make sure everything would go alright [​IMG]

So then we were watching them in the run a couple days later and realized some of them occasionally pooped black stinky pooo....and i mean like BLACK.
    Is this normal? Ive researched it and red conflicting statements and still unsure.

Also my polish bantam (not right now, but about a week ago) was acting very lethargic, shivering, and he would just stand like a statue and his head would just slowly start falling to the ground.
    He also started pooping neon green poo which i looked up and found out meant he wasn't eating and drinking enough.
    He did feel lighter, so i started to personally feed him scrambled eggs, milk yogurt and his food mixed together, etc.
    Hes gotten better and doesn't show any of those symptoms anymore

But like i said now this morning i let them out and see my japanese with one bubbly eye and the skin around both eyes is swelled and red!
    What is going on?[​IMG]
    I'm at my wits end, why can't they just be happy and healthy [​IMG].
    I love them all so much and i don't know whats going on or what i should do!
    I looked up everything and there are so many things it could be or couldn't be, so many medicines, wormers [​IMG]

It could be worms, respiratory, cocci, e colli., i don't know what to think or do!
    I don't want to kill/cull anyone, they are my pets! But i did want to breed/sell some of my chickens in the future so i also don't want ongoing and contagious illnesses.
    Does anyone have any idea whats going on?
    Am i thinking to much? Anyone know what they should be on?
    I was thinking of worming them since most of them have never been wormed but what if its something bacterial and i should be giving them an antibiotic instead..
    I don't want to be wrong, i don't want any of them to die because i didn't know what to do or didn't do the right thing in time...

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

awww,i'm so sorry ! i don't know what's up, i don't have chickens. i definitely don't believe you are thinking too much.
    do they have runny noses or anything like that?

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I feel your pain!!...and frustration!! If it were me, I'd separate her from the rest (which I'm sure you've already done) and take her back to the vet if you can afford it. I don't believe in floundering around trying to figure out what's wrong if I don't know and it brings peace of mind when a vet sizes up the situation. Best of luck to you. I know the anxiety you are experiencing!

4. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I am so sorry you are going through this with your pet chickens. [​IMG] It is hard constantly caring for sick pets, especially when you don't know the diagnosis or treatment.

I am new to chickens so I am not much help but the swollen eyes makes me think sinus infection. I hope a fellow BYC can offer more insight. Good luck!

5. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:No runny noise or any other symptoms like that.
    If she atleast had a runny nose it would help me figure out what was going on [​IMG]

6. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
  7. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    If it helps i have some pictures of her that i took today.
    When i went to take the pictures, she didn't have the bubbly eye, that symptoms seems to come and go randomly.
    But you can see the skin around her eyes is swollen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Thanks for the link!
    She never got as bad as the huge bump under the skin but the picture of the chickens droopy eye looks like hers.

9. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
  10. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:I really hope its not because then i think they will be carriers for life [​IMG]
    And i don't want to have to cull her.
    They say you should test your bird but i'm not quite sure how to get around to doing that..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by