What is going on with the Roo's comb? : Diagnosis please

atalanta

Songster
8 Years
Jan 17, 2013
This is Mr. Burns, is is a Pekin Cochin of unknown age (we think he's old), this formed on his comb in the last month. Please offer a suggested diagnosis and treatment... Thank you
IMG-2625.JPG

looks like someone is picking on him, does he get along with the hens? Sit and watch flock interactions
Thank you for offering that...

He's over a friend's house (Not my Roo). Occasionally I interact with him. He's little with an attitude...when you turn your back on him he bites your heels. 🤣

Have not seen any of the other chickens or the other roos pick on him even though they are ALL bigger than him. He's their senior, he raised them. He even made some babies (see pick below). A couple of months ago he did have a runny green nose and wheezing and we treated him with Erythromycin. He doesn't have very much chest meat in my opinion and he doesn't like you to hold him putting pressure on his chest but he comes to get picked up. Have not checked the other chickens to see if they have similar.
Mr. Burns Junior born three days ago.

Attachments

• IMG-2629.JPG
    IMG-2629.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Chickens can get mites, so those should be looked for, both in the daytime, and the other type may come out at night.

But there looks to be blood on the back and neck. That looks like damage or blood on the comb from pecking, or from running into wire fencing.

Chickens can get mites, so those should be looked for, both in the daytime, and the other type may come out at night.

But there looks to be blood on the back and neck. That looks like damage or blood on the comb from pecking, or from running into wire fencing.
Ok will go and inspect him today. Thank you

Thank you artsyrobin, I didn't go look today. Its on the things to do for tomorrow. That photo of all the fleas on the chicken... rude! 😱. I should probably rub him in diatomaceous earth any way.

I checked on Mr. Burns today. He didn't like me inspecting him, "Why you flipping my feathers that way?". He doesn't appear to have any mites or fleas. His comb does show a similar pattern on the right side of his head...
IMG-2639.JPG

Back
Top Bottom