What is going on with their feathers???? Feather eating or ? *pics*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shellie003, Feb 24, 2011.

1. shellie003

shellie003 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    NE WI
    What is going on with my girls? The feathers above their tails are all poofy with white feathers sticking out is it their pin feathers? is someone a feather eater? or what? Bad Hair day? We live in a pretty cold climate NE WI so I have been thinking it is just because we have had a terrible winter. Also some of their butt feathers are missing mainly in the barred rock. We have 2 Orpingtons that seem to be fine and 1 black sex link that is fine. But everyone else is weird.... see for yourself;
    [​IMG]
    This is our "Ellen" Hubby is holding her..
    [​IMG]
    close up of tail
    [​IMG]
    another comet Bertha
    [​IMG]
    Susan has some fluff but not as noticable as the Comets
    [​IMG]
    is this the start of molting??? they are almost 1 year end of March....
    [​IMG]
    our Barred Rock, Barbie
    [​IMG]
    Butt shot
    [​IMG]
    Close up butt shot. weird??
    We have looked for mites but it has been cold here, so far not seeing any. Any ideas????? [​IMG]
    Thanks for the comments ahead of time!!! [​IMG]

2. shellie003

May 11, 2010
    NE WI
    oh and we have oyster shell, grit, BOSS, minimal cracked corn, layer mash that has plenty of protein, also a treat block I got at TSC that they love to help with the winter madness...

3. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I want to know too! Mine are doing the same thing. I know the feathers are missing on top because of my rooster but my barred rocks are naked too! I was told it could be because they need more protien, so I started feeding them 30% protien feed yesterday.

4. shellie003

May 11, 2010
    NE WI
    oh and we do not have a rooster either. Not from the sassy boys. [​IMG]

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Mine look like that, - maybe not as severe, and I assumed it was from the rooster mating with them. I do have a leghorn that loves to pull feathers. I haven't even had chickens for a year yet, so sorry I do not have an answer. I'll be interested in other responses.

6. shellie003

May 11, 2010
    NE WI
    Anyone else???? [​IMG]

7. Gooter

Gooter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    central VA
    I have 3 SLWs in together and the low hen on the pecking order is like that. I have seen the other 2 peck her there in that area to get the best food. So I believe this is pecking order picked-on happening. The hens don't fight, but when they are out scratching around or if I toss in some greens or scraps (even if I spread it out so they all get some) they all move from bit to bit, just to be bossy. I personally doubt you have mites or parasites - just bossy hens. But that's not a highly educated or experienced opinion.

My Welsummer girls don't do that to each other.

8. shellie003

May 11, 2010
    NE WI
    hmmm, I thought it might have been something like that.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Those with complete plumage have become feather pickers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by