What is going on with this chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tmmiller, Jun 19, 2011.

1. tmmiller

tmmiller Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    I had posted earlier about concerns with this chick. He/she is around 8 weeks and has not feathered out like the rest. Seems to be same size just feathers not the same. Eating and drinking well. Is the last one out every morning so must be last in pecking order. Any one with suggestions? Hope you can see the picture.

[​IMG]

2. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    I have the same thing going on with one of my chicks. I'll keep an eye out on your post to see what others have to say.

3. SoFluffy

SoFluffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    oo, not too sure, a medical problem perhaps...

4. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Is it the same breed as your other chicks? I noticed that mine seem to be feathering at different ages. Two (Col Wyandotte and Buff Brahma) are the same size as their "sisters" (Jersey Giants and Dominiques, okay they are not as big as the Giants obviously but relatively close!) and they seem to be taking a little longer to get their feathers. They have feathers on their wings and I'm just now seeing the hint of tail feathers on both.

5. tmmiller

Jun 16, 2011
    It is suppose be the same kind and looked the same as the others as chick. Never has seemed sick just funny feather pattern.[​IMG]

6. tmmiller

Jun 16, 2011
    Does anyone have any ideas abou this chick???

7. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    Noticed any skin problems? Maybe a rash or something keeping the feathers from coming in? [​IMG]

8. tmmiller

Jun 16, 2011
    Has not put on any feathers down middle of back. Skin though looks healthy even though no feathers. I guess my next step is my local coopertive extension service to see if they have any suggestions or ideas.

9. tmmiller

Jun 16, 2011
    For those who have responded to post in recent past. I spoke with a poultry expert at our local University. She told me it is probably genetic coming from a large hatchery and as long as it is healthy does not see any problems with it. She also said could just be late to feather out but still thinks genetic reasons. So will see how she/he does at over time. Thanks to those of you who responded.

10. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    Good to have local experts [​IMG] Keep us posted! I will be curious to see how he turns out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by