What is going on with this chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amandamc, Feb 21, 2014.

1. amandamc

amandamc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    Today I picked up my next generation of hens. I know the reality of loss but I have no idea what this chick is doing. She moves around just fine and I believe is eating and drinking. However, when not in motion she either mouth breathes/sneezes consistently. There are no swollen cheeks, watery eyes or beak. Has anyone else seen this before? I have never had a chick do this before. I took a video if it will help (if I can figure YouTube out)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Edit: YouTube is much easier to use on my smartphone. Here it is:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I have seen that from time to time on broilers when they get too warm and aren't drinking water. Keep dipping it's beak in water until it drinks some to see if that helps.

3. amandamc

Feb 21, 2014
    Thank you for your help. I will be sure to do just that.

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Let me know if there is anything else you need.

5. amandamc

Feb 21, 2014
    Woke up this morning and found that the chick had passed away even after late night special care. As of right now the others all seem to be alright. I will be watching close to make sure another does not do the same.

Is there anything else it could be so I can be proactive? They currently have electrolytes and are on pine bedding with chick starter crumbles.

6. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    Amandamc,

My chicks arrived last Tuesday afternoon. Within 24 hours one of them became lethargic and died the next day. Someone in the forums thought it was likely stress from travel in USPS. That seems possible. Now except for having to take care of some pasty butt they all seem to be doing well, eating well, drinking well, and active.

Sorry for your loss. But from what I understand the occasional "first week" loss is not that uncommon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by