What is going on with this egg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quackiemama, Feb 12, 2019 at 7:37 AM.

1. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    This morning while collecting eggs I noticed one of them had this strange raised area and lots of little bumps. Sorry its not a better pic. On a side note I had one on Sunday that I thought someone had pecked and broken the shell. It looked like the same shape as the raised bump on this one but just missing the shell in that one little area. Is something wrong with one of my girls or just 1st year kinks getting worked out? I had posted a few weeks ago about finding a random softer egg every now and then and was told nothing to worry about as long as it is not on a regular basis. All 4 girls have been giving me a perfect egg on a consistent basis. Just alarmed me since this came out of nowhere. They eat layer pellets, mealworms, fly fiesta, oyster shells and tons of veggies daily.

Attached Files:

2. BuffOrpington567

BuffOrpington567 Songster

Aug 31, 2018
    UK
    Sure its not just its first egg?

3. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Nope all 4 girls have been laying for about 4-5 months now. When we had the recent drastically colder temps I had a random soft egg but once I added oyster shell back into the daily routine I have had 4 perfect eggs a day. The shell is nice and thick on the egg, it just has that raised area like a build up of shell.

casportpony likes this.
  4. CrazyCrttr75

CrazyCrttr75 Crowing

Apr 21, 2018
    Robertson County, TN
    The extra little bumps look like calcium build up to me. Just one of your girls helping herself to the oyster shell that you give them.

quackiemama and casportpony like this.
  5. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Ok that is what I was wondering. At least I know she is eating the oyster shell, right? So no harm in eating that one?

CrazyCrttr75 likes this.
  6. CrazyCrttr75

CrazyCrttr75 Crowing

Apr 21, 2018
    Robertson County, TN
    I get an egg that constantly has the extra calcium bumps. I don't know which girl is helping herself to it but I keep telling them to share lol. It is perfectly ok to eat, yes.

quackiemama likes this.
  7. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Awesome, thank you so much! I am glad to know I am not buying the oyster shell for my own personal satisfaction. Ha!

CrazyCrttr75 likes this.
  8. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    It almost looks like that spot would be softer then the rest of the egg. Is it? If so she might not be getting enough calcium.....maybe.

9. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    I just went and did a thorough look and feel of the egg. It is strangely much harder like a build up of the shell. This shell is very thick and hard and perfect except for the raised area and bumps which do look like what I would think calcium deposits look like. But what do I know? Ha!

happy duck likes this.
  10. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Songster

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: