What is going on?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ttkinnick, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Ttkinnick

Ttkinnick New Egg

Apr 8, 2016
    Can you please help me try to determine what is going on with my chickens?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

How old are they?
    Are you talking about the feathers?

Could be molting.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. Ttkinnick

Ttkinnick New Egg

Apr 8, 2016
    This one here is 7 years old. I did have one pass yesterday, but she was only 6 months old, her feathers were fine, they didn't look like the older hens.

4. Ttkinnick

Ttkinnick New Egg

Apr 8, 2016
    I went and looked at molting, and yes that is probably what is going on with her. This is my first year with chickens, and this one came with the coop, my others are still babies. Losing one this week has me freaked out and I have looked up so much information, kind of like looking at WebMD when you have something going on, worse case, LOL. I do believe that our young one who passed, just passed for no reason known. She was healthy and beautiful, the other babies look nice and healthy from what I can see. Here are the other 2 I have. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

At here age I would suspect she is molting if she is otherwise eating, drinking, pooping and overall active.

Check her over for any signs of lice/mites, just to make sure.

During molt it is beneficial to offer some extra protein. You can give her some egg, tuna, mackerel or meat and add some poultry vitamins to her water once a week to give her a boost.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

6. Ttkinnick

Ttkinnick New Egg

Apr 8, 2016
    Thank you so much for the information. She is molting (whew), she is such a sweet baby and it would break my heart to lose her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by