what is going on...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aguirre, Nov 21, 2007.

1. aguirre

aguirre Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    I have four chicks out and all have come one at a time...as each breaks out the others are nipping it and pecking it,,,jumping on it...what is going on/// I still have eight to go and not sure what to do, any suggestions ...please

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds perfectly normal to me. Hatching can be a chickie-party sometimes, with them bowling around the eggs that haven't hatched yet. The ones pecking the pipped eggs seem like they're lending moral support, LOL.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yep, that's normal...lol...I always say they are cheering the littles guys on to zip out...

4. Silkie_boi

Silkie_boi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2007
    It sounds so fun to watch lol.

5. aguirre

aguirre Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    I'm having a hoot , but gets scary sometimes
    In looking at my other eggs...the membrane that i can see looks very white...dry...my humidity is fine...is that going to be a problem for the little ones...three have not pipped yet is that ok?

6. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    The membrane right near the pip may be white and dry but the rest of it should be fine as long as your humidity is high enough. Whenever I have a chick that is stuck in the shell it usually becomes evident by the pip getting bigger and bigger, over and over, instead of the chick turning in the shell like it should to zip out. That is the only time I help. Chicks can take a day or so to hatch AFTER pipping.

Richard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by