What is going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by db, Aug 7, 2011.

1. db

db Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    My 26 girls are at 26 weeks and have been laying now since 18 weeks, up to about 21 eggs a day. My questions are concerning their nesting behavior . We have 12 nesting boxes and 3 girls will squeeze into one box,this is when my one leghorn will stay in the box and lay on all the eggs till I find them. I also know about the pecking order, but none of the girls ( which are rhode island reds, australopes, the leghorn and barred rock) will allow the americaunas in the boxes, only rarely when everyone is out. I have been finding eggs on the floor and today found one cracked all around but the yolk and white was gone. I had read where someone wrote they put hot sauce in an egg to cure this, so I did The girls attacked it, hot sauce and all. So what do I do, are they all egg eaters now? And what should I do for my americaunas that are chased and pecked at? Frustrated!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Time to put up some curtains [​IMG]

3. db

db Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    I have read about that what do you suggest, they are such chicken chickens boo and they scramble. how do you introduce that, sounds like a good idea though.[​IMG]

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I have read on here somewhere that chickens do not have heat receptors in their mouths...therefore hot sauce will do no good. Probably why they attacked it! My husband likes eggs and hot sauce too! [​IMG]

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Don't worry because you found one eaten egg. Mine will eat an a soft shelled egg that drops and breaks, but will never break into a good egg with no cracks already in it, so one raw egg won't turn them all into egg eaters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by