What is going on?!?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jenmiller, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jenmiller

jenmiller Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    I just got a batch of quails from a friend and they laid for the first day that i had them and now they havnt laid a single one...im feeding and watering them like they should...they havnt been mixed with my other quail...i dont get it...[​IMG]

2. Backyard Bantam

Backyard Bantam Out Of The Brooder

Is the temperature fluctuating?

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Just moving them can cause them to stop laying. They should settle down eventually.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    This time of year quail will stop laying due to the shortening of natural daylight. They will pick back up on the laying come spring time. You can add artificial lighting to their area. 14 to 16 hours of daylight will keep them laying thru the winter, however it is harder on their systems. [​IMG]

5. jenmiller

jenmiller Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    no we live like a mile from where we picked them up at so no difference between here and there.

6. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    probably stressed from being moved.

7. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    almost ANYTIME you move quails to a new home they will stop laying, for up to a few weeks even, that and the temperature changes recently, the drive. they are VERY tempermental.

this is the perfect time tho to add artificial lighting, change the coop around how you want, get everything set so you don't have to mess with them later down the road and cause further stress and egg stoppage.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:MIKE IS CORRECT, YOU HAVE BROKEN QUAIL LAW BY RELOCATING THEM... YOUR SENTANCE IS ~~~ BAD KEEPER! NO EGGS FOR YOU! [​IMG]

DONT WORRY GET THEM SETTLED IN KEEP EVERYTHING THE SAME AFTER THE MOVE AND SO LONG AS THEY ARE GETTING 14 HRS OF LIGHT A DAY THEY'LL PARDON YOU SOON ENOUGH [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by