1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is going on!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marilyn1954, Dec 16, 2014.

1. marilyn1954

marilyn1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Small town America
    I have 12 hens and 1 rooster. Hatched April12 2014. They started laying in September and I have gotten 4 to five eggs a day. EVERYDAY. My friend has 2 hens and gets 2 to 3 eggs everyday. WHY DO I GET SO FEW eggs? They free range, get crumbles, pellets and our dinner left overs, and fresh water daily. WHATS UP?

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Does your friend add artificial light to the coop? The decrease during the winter months will cause hens to either slow way down or quit laying completely. I have a flock of 30+ layers and pullets. I get between 12-16 eggs a day right now. Some have quit completely for the winter, some of the pullets that were supposed to start laying in November haven't started yet and some instead of laying every day lay every other day and then of course some are in Molt... I choose to go natural and allow my hens the break in the winter, I don't add any light to their coop.

The over all health of your flock plays a roll but it sounds as if you are feeding them well.. Last year I was surprised to see a dramatic uptick in egg production right around Winter Solstice and it just got better from there.. (Solstice is Dec 21st this year [​IMG])

3. marilyn1954

marilyn1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Small town America
    I guess I will wait til spring to see if I start getting more. I won't do any un natural light. I just love the chickens and will take what they give me naturally. I tell everyone, we take good care of them, not just because we love them, but you never know what can happen with our economy, they could end up saving our lives. LOL

4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    You may not have to wait that long, I know I didn't last year, many started laying again right before Christmas... And I agree, I have a very large flock (actually two right now) I really enjoy raising them, selling eggs and pullets and even chicks. We just butchered the last of this years cockerels Saturday.. That's six more meals in the freezer :)
    There is just something relaxing about going out and watching them. Some people see it as a job or a lot of work I don't, I love this little farm we have created.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by