What is good to keep the coop floor dry????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicks rule, Feb 27, 2008.

1. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Need some suggestions, any and all suggestions welcome. I bag of stall dry here is over $15, any other suggestions? Thx

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    What is it getting wet with? Rain water? droppings? ?

3. chicks rule

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Droppings, worse under the roosts.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Try doing a search for dropping/s boards. There are many posts about this. [​IMG]

Dawn

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a dropping pit or board? That's supposed to be helpful.

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I have a catch bin that I put under the roost--this collects most of the droppings. For the other droppings, i jsut pile up with straw and wood shavings--I think what is referred to as deep litter method. In spring I will shovel it all out. I haven't had a problem with their coop being too wet.
    what are you using on the floor right now?

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Pine shavings work best for me.

8. chicks rule

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    With my set up I don't know how I could get a drop board to work, I use Pine shavings, Maybe I should use more. I need to rethink my roosts, make them higher at least them it would be a little easier to clean. What about something on the coop floor under the shavings any of you do anything like that?

9. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I remove the overnight roost droppings with a flat shovel daily. Once a week I fish around for other droppings and remove them. I am using the premium pine shavings (large flake) and deep litter method which you can read about in the FAQs section of this site. I also use food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) with the deep litter method. It absorbs moisture like crazy. It will dry out your skin, too, so wear disposable gloves when you dust with it. My larger hen roosts high, and my isolation pen cannot be positioned in the coop without part of it being under her. At night I cover the exposed part with newspaper for easy cleanup in the morning. During the day, if any chicken poops on the top of the pen (where the hinged door is located) I shovel it off and pour the DE on the damp area for quick drying. The folks that mention dropping trays and boards have a good idea, too. My roost is just so long (from front to back of my coop) and my banty roost is closer to the wall and almost as long, so basically dropping pans for me would be over half my coop floor area and wouldn't help me save much litter, or else I'd use them.

10. chicks rule

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    They is my problem with the roosts, guess I should figure something out soon. They free range most days and the run door and prople door are open. Is it completely cleaned out right now so maybe that will dry it some, and I can figure something out. I also did a search (duh) and have found some good ideas there as well. Thanks y'all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by