1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is hanging from my hens vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by credmond, Jul 27, 2011.

1. credmond

credmond Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a 3 yr old hen (aracauna SP?), found this hanging from her rear end. It stinks really bad, and I'm not
    sure what to do. She has been laying 1 egg a day, no signs of any trauma. I don't know if related but our other hen (BR) died a week ago (I went in coup
    and she was laying on her side flopping around, again no injury..I was going to cull her but when I came back she was dead).
    Bird hasn't been eating much lately. Any ideas?

2. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    prolapse? Just guessing though....

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like a soft shelled egg might have burst inside and is on it's way out. You'll want to remove it if you can, just in case something can't be passed, she can get an infection.

4. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I had one who had this also about a year ago, I think it's an egg. I did pull my hens out and she was fine. I wouldn't force it though, you may be able to pull a little and let it rest and then try again. Here is a link to when it happened to me… Hope it helps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=306543

5. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    That is a soft shell egg that did not finish forming, busted inside her. My hens have that sometimes. I would pull it out carefully, and try to make sure that there is no more in her vent.

6. credmond

Aug 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Thank you for the reply....I will try it.
    She does not seem to be in any distress otherwise, so hopefully that will do the trick!

7. credmond

Aug 31, 2008
    Michigan
    I removed it and she seems to be fine...thank you for all of everyones help!

8. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    And that's the magic of BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by