What is happening and how did I fix it

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bgma, Nov 20, 2016.

1. bgma

bgma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2015
    yantis, texas
    I live in East texas. I have 15 laying g age hens that were producing an average of 12 eggs a day. A couple months ago all of a sudden around 5 eggs a day, now I get if I'm lucky 3. 2 were molting so I know they probably stopped for a bit. But here's the real kicker. I noticed my rooster was getting lazy. The other day I saw one of my hens get in front of him in position and all he did was look at her and WALK AWAY. What the heckids is happening.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Day length has a big effect on hormone levels in birds. Roosters killed during periods of short day length have testicles significantly smaller than those killed in periods of longer day length. The same impact is felt by hens, and egg production will generally drop off during short day length periods. You don't mention how old or what breeds you have. Both of these are factors affecting egg production.

3. bgma

bgma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2015
    yantis, texas
    This has been happening for a couple months now since Aug, sept

4. bgma

bgma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2015
    yantis, texas
    And this didn't happen last winter, they all layer thru winter.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They were a year younger.

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'll bet last year was their first year....pullets can and often do lay right through winter very well. That's the reason many of us replenish our flock with chicks in the spring, so that the pullets will mature during the summer and lay during the winter when the older girls are on their winter break. Length of day has a lot to do with laying and fertility. Chickens naturally want to do their serious reproducing during the warmer spring months, like most critters. Me, I just give my girls the winter off if that's what their bodies are telling them they need - they've produced well all summer and deserve a break.

1 person likes this.
  7. bgma

bgma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2015
    yantis, texas
    This winter will the the 2nd for one group amd the 3rd for the other group and my roo.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would try to think more along the lines of 'what can I learn from observing these things'....
    .....rather than 'how can I fix it'.

Birds may stop laying before any molting is visible...or they may be doing a slow molt that's hard to see without close examination.
    Older birds may finish their molt but still not lay until after the days begin to lengthen.
    Your cockbird may be molting too.
    Mine is taking foreever this year and is not much interested in mating,
    he sometimes has a go but gives up pretty quick if they deny him from what I've observed.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

Sounds about right. That's when mine start slowing down.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by