What is happening in my flock???????????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chuckzoo, Apr 6, 2011.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I have 4 hens that have all been getting on well with each other, until now. Now one of the hens is getting picked on a lot, even by her BF. What is going on?

Why would they turn on one hen like that?

Please, I need to know what to do. I don't want to separate her because I think that may only make thing worse.

I would appreciate some insight in this behavior and suggestions please.

2. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Hey Neighbor, Did you recently add a chicken?

3. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    Well let's go for the first 3 being from good ol' Bama.

Is it possible she is sick or injured?

4. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    make that 4. ...... I had a hen that started being attacked. She is now separated and I have a new friend for her. She was almost killed by her old "buds"

ETA: i think she has something wrong with her. Her poop has not looked normal since they kicked her out of the flock. She is also kind of thin. She's been treated for worms. However, her wattle is shiny, she eats, her feathers are beautiful and she's as sweet as can be. They see something wrong with her, but I don't. Of course, they know more than me though.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  5. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:No, the two Buff Rocks I added (to my two existing hens) was in July of 2010.

6. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:She looks fine, everything looks normal. She is clucking like she is wanting to go broody and she puffs her feathers up when one of the hens approaches her. I really can't figure it out.

7. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I think sometimes it a bully thing caused by peer pressure, For some reason when I had a roo this did not happen but when I gave him away they started. I got a little bantam roo and the stop again.

8. bluere11e

bluere11e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    The same thing is happening to one of my flocks. It's primarily americaunas. The hen that's doing the major bullying has small spurs. The one thats lowest on the totem pole is actually an EE blue laced red with yellow legs. All the rest at black. Blue. Splash and lavender. She's the odd man out. They really only pick on her first thing in the am before laying and later in the evening when they go to roost. When the picking gets to be a lot. I pull a bunch of weeds or shred a few slices of bread and throwing in with them. Everybody forgets what they were doing to snack on goodies. But she still looks good and has good feathers. So I'm not too worried. If it gets too intense I'll have to find another home for her.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Happened to me too. 4 of the hens and the roo(!) were gang attacking one of my Polish girls. Don't know why. Those 5 live separate now. My Polish girls were there first.

10. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How old are they? Have you wormed them? Checked for lice/mites at night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by