What is happening to my bantams eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KBoR92, Apr 16, 2017.

1. KBoR92

KBoR92 Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    Hi everyone sorry if this is a common problem. I noticed one of my bantams wasn't herself today and had something sticking out of her backside and looked prolapsed. I pulled it out thinking it was a piece of hay but then noticed yolk in the coop. She looks stressed and is standing around with her eyes closed and I'm not sure what to do with her

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KBoR92

KBoR92 Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    I just found this near the coop

[​IMG]

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I had one first time layer prolapse during last winter, we ended up culling her because of it. It isn't common but it can happen to any breed. Hopefully it's a one time thing. I would check her to make sure no tissue is hanging out, once it gets pecked you could have serious troubles, so separate her if it is, otherwise not much more you can do.

4. KBoR92

KBoR92 Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    It went back in after an hour or two and she started running around and eating normally with the others. I'm assuming she's not egg bound because she passed the soft egg? And I'm guessing the long white thing I pulled out of her was egg shell?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The first stuff could have been the remains of a stuck egg. Her laying the soft shelled egg hopefully means she's okay. Sometimes soft shelled eggs can cause prolapse because they are slippery like a hard shelled egg.

6. KBoR92

KBoR92 Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    It happened again :( She doesn't look prolapsed or stressed this time but I found the shell in the coop and a broody hen with yolk on her face. Any ideas on what the problem is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It looks like a soft shelled egg again which will often be eaten. Sometimes when hens start laying it can be stressful, I would assume there's cramping and possibly some pain as things stretch out and the system starts up. Soft eggs are often from stress as the egg comes out before the shell can be applied. It's good she didn't prolapse again. I don't think there's much you can do, hopefully she gets used to it and stuff starts to straighten out.

I would make sure you have a separate bowl of oyster shells for any extra calcium needs. Calcium is used to produce the shell and it's also helps muscles contract properly which is important for them to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by