What is happening to my eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cmom, Nov 23, 2009.

1. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This is a real mystery I thought I'd share. My girls have recently molted so I knew the egg production would be down. They have all finished molting and have been in the nest boxes but I haven't been getting many eggs. (4-8 eggs a day from 15 girls). I have 6 nest boxes in this coop. I was getting 12-14 eggs a day. Awhile back I had found a couple of broken eggs outside of my coop where the chickens can't get to. I put a camera in the coop and the only thing I saw was a rat. I put out rat baits and killed and disposed of 3 rats. I disconnected the camera as I had another camera hooked up because I had someone steeling my eggs I sell and money out of my money jar. I caught him on camera and told him if he came back on my property I would turn the video over to the police. He hasn't been back. Earlier today when I checked on my girls all the nest boxes had one of the girls in each of them. When I went out to collect the eggs later there was only one egg in one of the nest boxes and a broken egg outside of the coop where the chickens can't get to, so I reconnected up the camera in the coop. I am recording on a DVR. My guesses are a rat, snake or a two legged egg thief.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I don't think a 2-legger would leave behind broken shells. They would probably take the eggs home to COOK and eat! Not like you can carry around an opened egg in your pocket [​IMG]

Snakes usually eat the whole egg I think, so I bet you have another rat problem.

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Probably more rats, they breed so fast.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I vote rat... unless the two legged thief wants you to think that!

5. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey cmom
    We have been having squirrels get in and take the eggs out. I think they are storing up for winter.
    Eric

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Squirrels are a possibility.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I collected the eggs fairly early today and didn't let them set in the nest boxes until evening. Probably a mistake as how will I find out, with out the eggs as bait. The camera is going but nothing so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by