What is he doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katdam, Aug 19, 2010.

1. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i went into the coop this morning and found my hen in the nesting box, so i waited around so i could witness her second egg. my roo was waiting as well, like a father outside the delivery room....well sometimes he would get in there with her and look under her bottom...does anyone else's roo do this? i've heard of them sitting on the eggs sometimes, but why would he be looking at her bottom?

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Aww that sounds so sweet. Sounds like you have a pretty nice rooster. I don't have any like that. He is encouraging her to lay her eggs in the box. How sweet

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Could he be an egg eater?

4. katdam

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i don't think he would become one....the first egg was left alone..and they left this egg alone....they sang the egg song together after she laid the egg and she hopped down and they went about their business.

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Awww Then he just loves her. All 3 of my pullets were in the coop and nest box waiting for just the 1 to lay the other day

6. katdam

May 19, 2010
    texas
    at least i have one roo doing his job....i do have a mean roo that i need to get rid of but can't find any takers....i don't have a problem culling him, but i don't know if i could go through the process of "processing" him for eating....it just seems a waste to cull and bury him....that's what i might have to do.

7. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Are there any farms near you that process chickens for sale? They might be willing to take care of your mean roo for you. We get weekly stuff from a local CSA. They raise and process meat birds as well, and have said that if worse comes to worst, they will process our rooster for us.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    He's just being an attentive roo. Roos tend to have their favorites amongst the hens and will encourage them while they lay.

9. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Henry does that too! Sometimes he will try to snuggle right up next to her - she gets so mad! She shoves him out and then he starts pacing. I think that it is 50% concern for her and 50% "hurry up I want to go look for bugs and HAVE to wait for you!"

10. katdam

May 19, 2010
    texas
    she doesn't seem to mind...so far...but like a said this is only her second egg..she might not like if he does it for every egg!!!! we've waited 6 days for this second egg and really think we had to wait so long because of my mean roo...he's number 4 on the on the totum pole and is sooo mean to her...her "boyfriend" does take of it sometimes but i think she gets stressed just him (#4) being around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by