What is he doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedDrgn, Mar 30, 2012.

1. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    My DH and I are new to the male side of the chicken spectrum, so while we've spent the past 5 months reading everything we could find regarding rooster behavior, handling, etc. before taking the plunge, it didn't take our new flock addition long to come up with something that stumped us.

Flapping. When he's out with the ladies, doing his thing, he'll often stretch up and casually flap his wings. No real pattern to it, though he does it about every 10-20 minutes or so. He doesn't flap hard and certainly isn't looking to take flight. He returns to doing whatever it was he was doing prior to his flapping as soon as he's done. No crowing accompanies this behavior. The hens seem to ignore it entirely.

So what's he trying to convey? Or does he just have overly crampy wings that need to be stretched all of the time? [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have several roosters and the routine flapping seems to be yet another way for roosters to show dominance and generally show off. Our roosters will often hop up on something and give a vigorous flap. It is not unusual for one rooster to flap and then another one across the yard will flap a few seconds later.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    They flap because they don't have biceps to flex at the ladies instead :p Nothing uncommon at all.

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Both responses resulted in "I'm Sexy and I Know It" playing in my head. I don't know if I will therefore not laugh the next time I see him do this. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by