What is Henryetta the Rescued Chicken

Melissa67137

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
South east/south central Kansas
There I was not even thinking of chickens at this point when someone was desperate to find a home for a chicken they found wandering around a hospital parking lot the whole weekend. I had a old chainlink dog kennel that I got last year to make a small chicken run but have no coop yet.....but I took the chicken and named her Henryetta as she reminds me of my one Grandma with her mannerisms.

Anyways, here I am with a chicken that is a tiny thing but already laying eggs, one every other day so far, and I am wondering if anyone could tell me what she might be......I am suspecting some sort of Bataum but what kind I am not sure. Someone I know said she looks to maybe have some RIR in her. Her eggs are a very light cream almoat white color. The person who caught her and then gave her to me tried to put her with her 2 chickens but she attacked them, so I am also wandering if I should get her a friend or not.

Henryetta is my first ever chicken so any help/info would be appreciated. A friend has some chickens and tave me feed for her and I got her some dried meal worms and have given her some pueces of fruit.....she loves cantaloupe!!!

Attachments

• 20210406_093245.jpg
    20210406_093245.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
There I was not even thinking of chickens at this point when someone was desperate to find a home for a chicken they found wandering around a hospital parking lot the whole weekend. I had a old chainlink dog kennel that I got last year to make a small chicken run but have no coop yet.....but I took the chicken and named her Henryetta as she reminds me of my one Grandma with her mannerisms.

Anyways, here I am with a chicken that is a tiny thing but already laying eggs, one every other day so far, and I am wondering if anyone could tell me what she might be......I am suspecting some sort of Bataum but what kind I am not sure. Someone I know said she looks to maybe have some RIR in her. Her eggs are a very light cream almoat white color. The person who caught her and then gave her to me tried to put her with her 2 chickens but she attacked them, so I am also wandering if I should get her a friend or not.

Henryetta is my first ever chicken so any help/info would be appreciated. A friend has some chickens and tave me feed for her and I got her some dried meal worms and have given her some pueces of fruit.....she loves cantaloupe!!!
Looks like some kind of Game.
Good job rescuing her!!!

Kinda looks like a game hen to me. I’d say she attacked the other chickens because the woman didn’t acclimate her to the new chickens. Ideally you should quarantine chickens I believe for a month before introducing them to a new flock in case new chicken has any diseases. Then they should have at least a week where they are kept in separate enclosures within sight of each other. After a week or two of “look don’t touch” you can put the new bird(s) in with the existing flock at night when they are all roosting. There will still be fights as they establish the pecking order. If you want new birds to create a flock, this is what you would do.

Kinda looks like a game hen to me. I’d say she attacked the other chickens because the woman didn’t acclimate her to the new chickens. Ideally you should quarantine chickens I believe for a month before introducing them to a new flock in case new chicken has any diseases. Then they should have at least a week where they are kept in separate enclosures within sight of each other. After a week or two of “look don’t touch” you can put the new bird(s) in with the existing flock at night when they are all roosting. There will still be fights as they establish the pecking order. If you want new birds to create a flock, this is what you would do.
Yup! It works too. We've done it a billion times.

Whew maybe I am not as chicken dumb as I thought.....I told the other person that she shouldn't have just tossed her in with her other chickens, I was not so kindly reminded I have never had chickens before so how would I know.

And good info on another chicken, since I don't have space to keep another bird safely looks like Henryetta will be a flock of one. Plus I don't know what a game chicken is to get another.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have space for keeping other birds seperated and such. I had planned to try to get 3 young chickens from a friend when I was ready for chickens to avoid the whole introduction issue.....so poor Henryetta might have to be a flock of one.

If she is a game chicken, she will probably go broody at some point (sit on eggs to hatch them.)

Because you do not have a rooster, of course her own eggs will not be fertile.

But you can let her sit on fake eggs, and about 3 weeks later buy a few baby chicks to tuck under her. Most hens will accept the chicks and raise them, and she will not attack her "own" babies.

As for what a "game" chicken is: a kind used for cockfighting, or one whose ancestors were used for that. Some of the game chickens are now raised by people who just like to keep them, or by people who enter them in shows, so just calling her a game chicken does not tell us anything about what kind of home she used to live at.

Back
Top Bottom