1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is in medicated chick feed (urgent!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AmyD26, Apr 18, 2009.

1. AmyD26

AmyD26 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    we bought a bag, and there are no ingrediants listed, it just says 20% medicated. What exactly is in this?

My toddler ate a handful of it. Does this warrant a trip to the hospital because of the medications in the feed?

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i would call the company that makes it, also call poison control and talk to them, i am doing a search for specific ingredients- but try calling

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The feed company is required to put a listing of certain ingredients on the tag. If that is all that is on the tag, that is against the law.

5. AmyD26

Apr 12, 2009
    That's all it says. I'll go to the feed store we bought it from and see if they have the original bags it came in.

6. PeeperKeeper

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I did find this on feathersite:

Some feeds are medicated. Coccidiosis is a disease that can kill chicks that have not built up a resistance to it. They can pick it up outside from the droppings of other birds. If your chicks go outside you may want to give them a feed medicated with Amprolium, which controls the coccidiosis while allowing the birds to build up a resistance. Some medicated chick feeds are sold with antibiotics in them.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html

8. AmyD26

Apr 12, 2009
    The feed store has the original tag. This feed came from "Handy Farms" but she could not make out the ingrediants on the tag.

She had bits and pieces of names...

E_el_hobapte (can't read the letters where the blanks are)

The other is Amprolium.

These are supposed to be the medications.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  9. PeeperKeeper

Bentonite is known to reduce the effectiveness of amprolium by absorption. Bentonite can be found at health food stores. Bentonite is used for colon cleansing and is no more than a food grade "kitty litter" like substance.

10. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    she will be fine! one of mine did the same thing. too bad we cant feed it to them all the time, it would cut back on the food bill. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by