1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT IS IN THAT EGG?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marytoast, Jan 6, 2009.

1. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    i HAVE JUST STARTED TO GET FRESH EGGS. THERE ARE LITTLE BROWN SPECKS IN THEM. tHEY ARE NOT FERTILIZED (AT LEAST I DO NOT THINK THEY ARE). i ALSO CRACKED ON AN IT APPEARED TO HAVE A RED LINE, NOT LIKE A VEIN JUST LIKE A BLOOD LINE. tHIS IS MY FIRST TIME RAISING CHICKENS SO BE PATIENT WITH MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE.[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just meat spots or blood spots, nothing to do with fertilization. It comes from the hen's reproductive tract. Commercial operations have high powered candling equipment and toss those out, but they are fine to eat.

Mary, helpful hint: All capital letters means you're yelling and is a bit harder to read. [​IMG]

3. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    Thanks, I had no idea. I learn something new everyday on BYC![​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Me, too! [​IMG]

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    The rejected eggs in commercial operations go to commercial bakeries and other food production companies. They're fine to eat, don't let the specks bother you. Perfectly safe. They also reject funny shapes and weird looking shells, those are fine to eat, too.

And welcome aboard!

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I actually found a piece of chicken feed in one of my eggs! I've been trying to figure out which end it went in to come out inside the egg??[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by