1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is in the mix

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bock, Nov 5, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Okay, so here are the pictures of my two much loved mix breed dogs. Sugar was rescued from the animal shelter 7 years ago when she was 11 months old, and the only info they had on her breed was that she is a Yellow lab mix. Besides, yellow lab, I was thinking possibly some pit because of her face and some Australian Shepherd or Border Collie because of the blaze on her face and her lighter colored chest and paws. She weighs about 60lbs and has a very laid back temperament, the only one of my animals she has ever killed was a baby pigeon. Sugar does not play fetch, she doesn't herd things, she hates baths but will walk up to her chest in water, and she doesn't like to run for too long. Here are two pics of Sugar.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/16945_img_4689.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/16945_img_4947.jpg

Sabrina, we bought at a pet store 4 years ago (I know how bad a mistake it is to buy from pet stores now) when she was 8 weeks old. They were uncertain of the breed, but they were guessing a dashushound/ chiwawa mix. She weighs about 10 lbs. I really think she is a Dashound/chiwawa/rat Terrier mix. She isn't big on digging, she likes to play fetch, she doesn't like to swim, and she has killed 1 young bantam chickens before. Here are the pics of Sabrina.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/16945_img_4710.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/16945_img_4946.jpg

Thanks ahead of time. I know it will be difficult to know exactly without a blood test, but I have just been curious for so long. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Fix your pics for ya.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

thank you reb! That totally helped. i vote yellow lab and pit for the first, and beagle/ chi for the second.

4. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks rebelcowboysnd! I can't seem to figure out how to do that. [​IMG]

Sabrina does have the Beagle markings, but she doesn't have the bark or the lazy attitude of one.

5. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I agree with lab/pit. Perhaps lab parent to lab/pit parent. As she doesn't look as pitty as most crosses I've seen(but then again you never know with mixes what genes are going to pop!)

And the little tyke.. I would guess JRT/chi.

Both good lookin pups!

6. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    You know they have those DNA tests for your dogs!! [​IMG]

7. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
  8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    So you guys really don't think she has any dachshund in her? Man did those people really have it wrong! I still really don't think beagle though, she has none of the characteristics of them besides her coloring, and most of her siblings were spotted anyway. [​IMG]

9. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I agree that Sabrina doesn't look like she has any dachshund in her. And I say no rat terrier either.
    I don't see the pit in Sugar. just seen plenty of block headed retrievers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by