1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT is IN these eggs!?! parasite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicks & ducks, Jan 12, 2011.

1. chicks & ducks

chicks & ducks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    Hi all. I wouldn't necessarily classify this as an emergency but didn't know where else to put it. We have 3 rir's-free range, cooped at night((all hens)). They are nearly a year old. This morning I cracked open egg and there was this weird rice looking thing inside. It's happened once before but I thought maybe I was seeing things. I'm concerned now that it's a parasite or something? We eat these eggs on a regular basis!

I've never given my chickens any sort of medicine, they are fed pellets, free range and occasionally get veg scraps from the kitchen.

Any thoughts? [​IMG]

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    It is in all eggs. Just part of what would continue developing if it were fertile..

Also in store bought eggs. Nothing to worry about..

3. chicks & ducks

chicks & ducks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    ok! Thanks for taking the time to reply! [​IMG] I appreciate it. [​IMG]

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Can you take a picture of it? A sign of a fertile egg is a white "bulls eye" spot on the surface of the yolk ~ not something that looks like rice. It may be something normal or could be a hiccup in the hens laying system.

There is a picture of a fertile egg on post 7 of this thread. ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4790736

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Definitely post a picture, the info given is not nearly enough to answer with any accuracy.

6. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Ocassionally, if a hen has a high worm load, a round worm, can swim up into the oviduct and get cast inside the white of the egg, however, this is RARE , and it could be form about 1/2 inch long, to about 3 inches, looking like a spagetti thing ..

A picture would be helpful

In a normal egg, there are 2 small bright white things in the white of the egg, that anchor the yolkk in the middle, the " Chalise' ( Spelling ?) Sometimes they can be fairly big.. this is probably what you are seeing ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by