1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is in this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crittercarepets, Feb 7, 2017.

1. crittercarepets

crittercarepets Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    I don't know what these spots are in this egg. They don't look like typical meat spots that are found in eggs. These are only found in our greenish blue eggs and we haven't ever had these in the eggs until about 3 weeks ago. Anyone have any ideas on what it is? I don't like to give them to people so we just keep all the greenish blue eggs.

Thanks!

Bobbie

Close up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Looks almost like globals of pigment. Sometimes they leave raised bumps on the outside of the eggs that look like that. That's my best guess.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are they hard...like egg shell?
    What does the inside and outside of shell these were in look like?
    How old is bird that laid it/them?

Great pics BTW!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  4. crittercarepets

Jun 30, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    I haven't touched them.... :( The eggs look like normal bluish green eggs. Nothing on the inside of the shell or outside for that matter. The bird that laid them are around 11/2 to 2 years old. We have had a serious hawk problem so I don't know if it is the stress from the hawks.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh, well.....that might have given a clue.
    Looks to me like some shell material...but we may never know.
    Thought the outside of the shell might have shown some malformation too if it was a shell gland glitch.
    Stress can cause glitches.
    Time will tell if it was a one off glitch or something else.
    Wait they've happened more than once...and are still happening?
    Next time touch them [​IMG]

6. crittercarepets

Jun 30, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Okay I went and cracked one open and pulled the little pieces out. They are soft and I can cut it with my fingernail. When we first got the chickens there was nothing in their eggs. They weren't laying at the beginning of winter (going through molting) and now the eggs have the specks in them. So probably have been in the eggs for about 2 or 3 months.

I just don't know if we can eat them and I definitely don't want to sell them to anyone. :( I'm wanting to make some hard boiled eggs, so I guess I will stick with the bantam eggs.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You probably can eat them... I don't know if I would, though, just because of the yuck factor. You can always scramble or boil them up for your chickens as an extra protein source.

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmm... it's hard to say exactly what is happening and why and if it can be fixed.
    I figured they would be hard shell material, kinda looks like calcium spheres in that close up.....
    ....but that would't make sense either if they are inside the membrane<scratcheshead>.
    Sometimes a bird just has defective equipment and you get funky eggs from her consistently but all the other birds lay fine eggs.
    How many birds are doing this?
    Are they all from the same hatch or source?
    Sorry, not much help.

Ditto Dat^^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by