what is in this egg?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Matanah Meadows, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Matanah Meadows

Matanah Meadows Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    When I cracked open an egg from one of our hens, I found this clump of "something" in it. What do you think it is? It looks really gross. The shell on this egg was unusually thin and other eggs from this hen have been normal. Has anyone seen anything like it? It was not fertile (no rooster available).
    [​IMG]

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    When the yolk or egg white was being formed, some of the hen's lining may have rubbed off into the egg before the shell was deposited.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a good sized piece of ovarian tissue, looks like. Really, it happens more often than you'd think from buying store eggs. Especially if there was some other glitch in her system this cycle, with the thin shell, it's just one of those things that happens sometimes. More often with new layers, and high production breeds. It's nothing to worry about, your hen is fine. She might take a day or two to get her system sorted out but she'll lay normal eggs again.

4. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Donrae, that's what I was trying to explain! ;)

5. Matanah Meadows

Matanah Meadows Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Thanks! I sure hope it doesn't happen again! Bleh!

6. bbyblueyes3

bbyblueyes3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Wonder if that is the same as what I found.... But I found my "oddity" after poaching... Didn't notice it when I cracked the egg....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by