What is is called when...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kyle7630, Aug 27, 2008.

1. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    What is is called when chicks and guineas start to change and mature? For the guineas in particular, they have got feathers but they are a brownish color, not the dark color that the pearls should be. Also, when will their heads and faces start to turn white and red, and their fuzz come off of their face and head? The same question for the chickens. What changes can I expect and when???

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I'm a tiny bit confused, but i may have just read it too fast...i think you're looking for theword "molt" when they molt into mature feathers...however even adult birdies molt during a particular season.

I read someone calling the "uglyish" feathers eclipse feathering on ducks....and once they molt they're into their "breeding plumage'.

as for when and what to expect I cant help ya there, but i'd say a year (or atleast 6-8 months)? Atleast that's normally what it is for most birds to get in full breeding plumage.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  3. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    Ok, so after they are first born and they start to grow feathers, is that the first molt? Then they get a temporary set of feathers that they molt again? And after that, they molt every certian season? When does the head change? Still learning. I understand the molt as like a change of clothing, is that close to right?

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:i honestly dont know if from chick fuzz to getting feathers is considered a molt, maybe it is but i'd say it's technically not a "true molt"? But yeah after the temp feathers they molt again into more adult plumage.

As for your guinea fowls head color changing i have never owned a guinea in my life so I cannot help ya there. [​IMG]

Yep i'd compaire them molting to changing clothing cept changing clothign isnt stressful for us, however it is to some extent for the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by