What is It? Is it pasty Butt? Is it infected? Help..?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Psak9Sports, May 30, 2010.

1. Psak9Sports

Psak9Sports Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Ok so this is a 4 day old silkie chick... was eating and drinking fine yesterday, not too sure about now, might seem a little lethargic. I had to clean some pastys off of 4/5 yesterday and this morning, this evening when I come home, only 1 has pasty reminants as I used Baby Oil to keep it from sticking further, now i notice what I will describe as a 1-2mm yellow crusty hole like object, which seems to have fluid underneath of it which could be as much as 15mL's. I am concerned because it does not appear that the other chicks have this 'hole' and their body shape seems to be different, But I am thinking it is due to what I am assuming to be fluid under the skin. This 'hole' is located below the chicks anus, on its lower torso, but towards the back, see attached pictures.

I have attempted to cleanse the area by irrigation and attempted to break up the yellowish crusty material, however most still remains, the area is fully haired but is currently covered in baby oil as seen in the pics. She was bought straight run at a local breeder and does appear to be the runt, thus far, but also was the last to hatch... Any Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

Justin

2. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you will get more responses, Justin, if you post this with your pictures on the Medical Emergencies topic. Could the skin be infected? If so neosporin might be helpful rather than baby oil. Hope someone helps you soon. [​IMG]

3. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    It's the chicks umbilical cord spot. You can feel the yolk underneath, it's the spot where the yolk is absorbed.

Just leave it alone, it will be fine.

4. Psak9Sports

Psak9Sports Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Annapolis, Maryland
    My first thought was belly button, or umbilicus, but only knowing human anatomy wasnt sure as to if a baby chick had an umbilical cord, which in a human would be attached to the mothers placenta. I will need to do some more research on egg & embryo anatomy and physiology.I guess that would explain the 'yoke' colored small dot.. Thanks for your quick reply...

Justin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by