What is it?- legs go but then they get better (usually)?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sophiejw, Nov 24, 2011.

1. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Hello,

I'm hoping someone can suggest what might be wrong with my chickens from time to time.....

Last year I had a young Araucuna cockerel who suddenly stopped being able to walk, he went from fine to unable to walk over night. It was like he wanted to walk but he just couldn't get his legs to work. I isolated him but 2 days later he was no better so we ended up putting him down as we thought he was suffering.

Then earlier this year, one of my hens (White Star cross- about 18 weeks or so old at the time) did a similar thing- they were all fine when I let them out of the run, then later in the day I went down to give them treats, they all ran to get them except this hen who was doing what the cockerel had done- she was trying to run too but her legs didn't work. Then the weird thing- I left her for ten minutes while I went to sort out where I was going to put her and when I got back she was fine again running with the others. Touch wood she hasn't done it again since.

Then on Monday morning, my young White Star cockerel was lying in the hen house- same thing legs stopped working, and his neck was bent right back it looked like it was in spasm. But 12 hours later he his neck was fine and he was back on his feet but looking sorry for himself and very unsteady. Yesterday morning he was walking around with the others- still wobbly but better than he had been. This morning he looks back to normal.

Has anyone got any ideas what it might be?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

2. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Update on the cockerel, he was looking completely cured this afternoon, I gave them a big pile of leaves and he was enjoying scratching around in it just as much as the others. Crossing my fingers whatever it was doesn't come back. Has anyone else had anything similar happen to their chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by