What is it?

Sonja73

Songster
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
Walterville, OR
I rescued three 8 week old chicks last night. Not too sure what I brought home. lol. I got a really good picture of the one. Trying to get good pics of the others. All have white legs but the black, it has black legs. Any ideas? Thoughts? And yes they are quaratined from the others, this coop is reserved for such an occasion.

Black chick: Australorp probably, unless the bottoms of its feet are yellow. Then it might be a Jersey Giant.
Red chick: Looks like it could be a Rhode Island Red, Production Red, or New Hampshire Red. I can't see the comb clearly though, but it doesn't really look like a single comb; could you get a picture of its comb? It might just be a mix.
Brown chick: I would say Welsummer or Partridge Rock, but it has white legs, not yellow. It might be a mix, as well.

I agree about the Australorp, the bottom of its feet are white. Here are some more pics. These chicks never saw grass or anything before so they were pretty spooked first thing this morning, they have calmed down a bit.

Black Chick: Black Australorp--it has a single comb, white bottoms of feet, black legs, and black plumage
Brown Chick: Welsummer or Partridge Rock. Or it could just be a mix, as its legs aren't the right color for either breed.
Red Chick: Some sort of mix. It has the coloring/type of a Rhode Island Red or Production Red, but its comb is a pea comb, and it has white-ish legs.

Black Chick: Black Australorp--it has a single comb, white bottoms of feet, black legs, and black plumage
Brown Chick: Welsummer or Partridge Rock. Or it could just be a mix, as its legs aren't the right color for either breed.
Red Chick: Some sort of mix. It has the coloring/type of a Rhode Island Red or Production Red, but its comb is a pea comb, and it has white-ish legs.
Thank you all so much! The austrlaorp I was pretty sure of, but the others threw me. I have learned a bit. Now to get them cleaned up and healthy, and hopefully to a good home!

I think they're all mixed. none of them look quite right for a specific breed. maybe post again in about 4 weeks when they're fully feathered in?

Back
Top Bottom