1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gindee77, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I've been getting eggs now for about 3 weeks...we're up to about 5-7 a day from 11 pullets. Yesterday when I was cracking eggs for breakfast, I always crack them in a bowl first. (Can't stand the thought of eating a blood spot! Those eggs get fed back to the chickens.) Anyway, I didn't see a thing in any of the eggs...but then when I cooked them, I noticed a very thin thread-like strand that was sort of a brownish color and it seemed to be attached to the egg white. It didn't show up until the eggs were cooked and I noticed it in 3 of the 6 eggs I was cooking. I pulled one off and looked very close at it...but unfortunately I didn't get a photo of it. It looked sort of like what cooked blood would look like color-wise, it was about 1-1 1/2" long, very thin and had no discernible characteristics (like a worm would have...Ick!!). It sort of looked like a very very thin tube with blood in it. It was a thread looking thing. At first I thought it was just an overcooked edge of egg, you know how they get brown on the edges when you fry them. I've looked up "wormy chicken eggs" on the internet and none of the photos I've seen look at all like this.

Please tell me my chickens don't have worms. [​IMG]

The chickens are around 23 weeks old, all came from hatcheries and all are very healthy...I haven't seen a sign of worms anywhere! No bloody stools, and none of the other things a chicken would have if they were wormy. They have bright eyes, good appetites and shiny feathers. They are on DE all the time... in their nests, on the floor under their bedding, on their roosts and we clean the coops and tractors out faithfully on a weekly basis. As far as overcrowding...All the chickens have about 4 square feet of space in the coops. They get regular layer feed, oyster shell grit, occasional grass clippings and fresh produce from our veggie garden. Besides that, the only other thing they eat is the couple of eggs I've had with blood spots scrambled with the egg shells crushed up finely.

Any ideas? Is it worms or could it just be one of those new layer's little quirks? [​IMG]

2. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I'd say it's just "part" of the egg.
    What part of Il are you from?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  3. Gindee77

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I'm just outside of the Illinois Quad Cities (Moline, Rock Island, etc)...right on the Mississippi River.

Thanks for your answer, that's what I was hoping to hear!!!

I hope I get more reassurance! This kinda freaked me out! [​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

There is a thread-like part of the white of the egg that is probably what you are seeing. Do a search for egg anatomy and you will probably see what I'm talking about.

5. Gindee77

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    crtrlovr, thanks! I sure hope so. It was in 3 eggs and they were probably all from the same chicken over the course of a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by