what is killing my chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rigo941, Aug 17, 2014.

1. rigo941

rigo941 New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    Hey my name is Rigo and i'm new, today I went to the coop like all day and noticed that 3 of my hens,were dead and one of my last batch of chicks did too., I got 55 chickens left and about 12 chickens .i tried them for ticks, worms, mites and noting they keep dying and i don't know what to do i let them free range and at night and the coop is lock top and bottom and my baby chick's they are dying too no mark's on there buddy's they just keep dying .What should I do? Any idea what disease this could be? Any ideas to cure this? Please help! Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Are they suffering from extreme heat? Coccidiosis would be the first thing that comes to mind with a mixed age flock. Have you seen any standing puffed up with diarrhea, and not eating? Corid or amprollium is the treatment for cocci. What did you use for worm and mite treatment? If it is very hot there they could be dying of dehydration. If so, I would give electrolytes and vitamins in their water, and place extra water bowls out for them in the shade. They like to cool their feet in shallow water pans. Having a necropsy done by your state vet on the next chicken you lose would be a good way to find the cause. Here is a link for that: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Do you have 55 chickens in one coop? I second the cocci treatment...esp for the baby chicks. Hurry and treat them with corrid.

4. rigo941

rigo941 New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    Hi yes some of them are puff and they stay on the shey and y have a clinging fan on and two water bottles and I just electodats on the water and I just ivomac for the mates

5. rigo941

rigo941 New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    What is coccidiosis and I just Google it and yes they are puping like that I don know what is that please help

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you are in Australia, Coxoid would be the medication to look for or get from a vet: http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/coxoid-coccidiosis

Ivomec may help your mites, but it's become resistant to worms. Levamisole or fenbendazole for goats would be better for worming.

If cocci is the culprit, make sure that you clean out the droppings, have no leaking water, keep feed bowls up to prevent droppings in them, and put down fresh bedding.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Dang double post, sorry

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  9. rigo941

rigo941 New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    Thank you and will this affect on my big chickens and they eggs because like I say I have about 55 chickensf in a coop 16 feet by 16 feet long and they lay about 17 eggs a day is that good or bad

10. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it

If this looks like what is going on, I would recommend you using the severe outbreak dose below. Make sure and give them the vitamins AFTER treatment since it will reverse the medicine if given during treatment. The older chickens shouldn't get it though, it's more for younger birds. How old were your older ones?

the preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 tsp per gallon. ThePD(.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 tsp per gallon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 tsp per gallon.
    Thee MO(.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 tsp per gallon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is1.5 tsp per gallon. The severe outbreakdose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149

For the treatment: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks.
    Treat with vitamin B after treatment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by