What is killing my chickens?????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jm78hzl, Sep 1, 2014.

1. jm78hzl

jm78hzl New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    I have lost 2 small chickens, both bodies have been left behind. I can't tell what's killed them. I figure that normally there'd be no sign of my chicken but feathers, but whatever it is is actually leaving the chicken behind. The only thing that we can tell is that the neck area looks chewed. The first one was pulled out of a small animal cage that I had for my little chicks. It was actually pulled out and left about a foot away. This is a small dog crate, so nothing can fit threw the wires except for maybe snakes. Then I lost one of my older chickens that day - that one was just gone. No signs no nothing. Then today all of my chickens were in my large coop and when I went to feed them I noticed that another smaller chicken was dead. The same as the first one. I don't know what to do :( Any suggestions on what it could possibly be and what can I do to get rid of it. My husband is going to check the coop today for any small holes that could possibly be around but as far as we can tell there is really nothing that would allow the entrance of a predator. We have not seen any signs of digging either. Pleases help. I'm down to 3 chickens, a rooster and 2 small chickens. :(

2. coppertop2014

coppertop2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    My Coop
    Problem a raccoon. They pull the heads out through the cages and eat the chicken

Hope there ok

3. jentralala

jentralala Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Sounds like a coon. They reach their arms/hands through gaps in the wire to grab the chickens and kill them. What kind of wire is on your coop? Can you post a pic of it? We can then give suggestions on how to modify it to make it coon proof.

4. coppertop2014

coppertop2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    My Coop
    Yea.

5. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    it could b a weasel/ mink as well....