What Is Killing My Chicks?

Geckolady

Counting Chickens B4 They're Hatched
Sep 12, 2020
east central Arizona
Only one egg pipped from my incubated hatch, and after 2 days I assisted it out of the shell. Then I went looking for siblings for it, and found a hatchery in easy driving distance. It was a new, start-up hatchery, with a great web site and lots available. They let me drive over and pick out some chicks, which was wonderful because it meant not having to ship them. They said they had over 600 chickens.

I bought 5 silver grey Dorking chicks, and could see how small, thin, and weak the one I'd helped out of the egg was by comparison. It seemed to get stronger, then weaker, then passed a few days later.

I still had what looked like 5 nice healthy chicks. One of them, the only male of the group, never grew, then started doing this weird thing that looked like he was trying to burp, got weak, and died.

I tried to contact the hatchery to see if they had any more males, but their web site was gone. At first the web site was being held, but now that web site name is available. They also did not answer when I tried to phone them.

Another chick stopped growing, did the same burping motion, and died last night. What is going on here? They have chick starter food, water with electrolytes (hydra-hen), and a new Brinsea warmer plate. Since the warmer plate says not to let it contact bedding, I have been lining the brooder with shelf liner and cleaning it and replacing it a lot. There is nothing coming from their nostrils. The brooder is in the warmest room of my house.

What would cause chicks to stop growing, do that weird thing that looks like they're trying to burp, toss their heads back, weaken, and die? They were all the same size when I bought them, and they hatched on May 17th. I have three chicks left, and the smallest appears to be starting this.

I won't be able to get to the computer for a good part of the day, but that doesn't mean I've abandoned this thread.

I started with chickens late last fall and don't have any chicken medicines on hand, so if you recommend anything, please let me know where I can find it. Thank you.

How old are they?

What's the poop like?

Hard to know which way to go - treating for Coccidiosis may be the way I would go but it depends on actions.

The burping action is interesting. If you can get that on video it may help. Upload to youtube and provide a link.

Check to see that your feed hasn't gotten moldy somehow or smells off.
What do their crops feel like - do they feel air or fluid filled?

They're a little over 2 weeks old, and the feed smells OK. It's a new bag that I bought at TSC several weeks ago. I'm a techno-dummy and don't have the ability to do videos. I just tried feeling the littlest one's crop, and am not sure what it's supposed to feel like, but didn't notice anything. It sneezed, but nothing came out of the nostrils.

They're a little over 2 weeks old, and the feed smells OK. It's a new bag that I bought at TSC several weeks ago. I'm a techno-dummy and don't have the ability to do videos. I just tried feeling the littlest one's crop, and am not sure what it's supposed to feel like, but didn't notice anything. It sneezed, but nothing came out of the nostrils.
Are they sneezing frequently? Or could it have just been a sneeze - dust, fluff, feed can cause an occasional sneeze.

They are tossing their head back...is that when they drink water or do they just like stand and toss their head back?
Just trying to brainstorm here.

Could be something like symptoms of Wry Neck. Try giving 400IU Vitamin E daily along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex. This would be for each chick.
Offer a wet mash of feed, see if they eat that better. I just mix a small amount of feed with warm water, let soak for about 15-20 minutes to the consistency of loose to soupy oatmeal, then put in a little dish or even something like a coffee can lid, etc.

You do mention they are in the warmest part of the house - how warm? Do they use their heat plate at all or do they avoid it?

Sorry for all the questions!

I understand how stressful this is for you, especially not knowing what's going on.

The first thing that jumped out and snagged my attention was your description of how accommodating this hatchery was in permitting you full access to their chicks. Zero biosecurity? Or did you just forget to mention the disinfecting foot baths before entry and upon leaving? If they are this permissive to all customers, it won't be long before they have an avian virus or two or three, plus parasite and bacterial diseases infecting their stock. And that means you are purchasing disease, quite possibly when purchasing chicks.

That's the obvious source of your chicks' illness. The speed at which it's killing your chicks points to coccidiosis or bacteria. I would treat with a coccidiostat as @Wyorp Rock suggested, and raise her one and suggest also an antibiotic which can heal any bacterial infection related to coccidiosis or unrelated. The best one would be this as it combines a coccidiostat with the antibiotic. No prescription necessary. https://www.jedds.com/shop/trimethoprinsulfa-100-g-medpet/

I just got back from work, and stopped off at a feed store to talk to someone who knows a lot about chickens. No offense to anyone on the board, but the more minds thinking about this, the better.

Their nostrils have been, and are, totally clear. They do sneeze from time to time, but nothing comes out. It's probably just dust from the chick crumble??

No to the biosecurity--they just let me walk in.

The chicks' stools look just like normal chicken droppings but smaller, until a day or two before death, when they get really soft.

The lady at the feed store had some Sav-A-Chick probiotics, and she said she didn't know if it would do any good, but I could try it. I just put some in their water. She thinks it's mostly failure to thrive, since SGDs are delicate chicks.

I'll order the bacteriostat, but don't know if it will get here in time. If not, it will be available if it's ever needed in the future. And I'll get some vitamins on my next trip into town.

They toss their head back and sneeze from time to time.

Hope we can save the remaining three.

Back
Top Bottom