What is killing my ducklings? HELP!

clarkai

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Somewhere around Lacey
They are 20 days old now, and moved them into a pen in my garden 2 days ago. 2 of them died today, at different times. Everyone acts fine, until I find one dead. There aren't any wounds, or signs of why they died. There food didn't change when I moved them, except now they are getting some of the weeds from the garden. What could it be?

Last edited:
Ok, just went out to check on them again, and one is really floppy, adn then having jerking around.

Edit: It's dead now. I brought them all back inside the house (it's been quite warm here, and they've been outside for a week, with heat) And all three have died this afternoon, in the warmer part of the day, and they aren't huddling at all. I've been supplementing with brewer's yeast because I was told that would work for niacin. This is literally perfectly happy 1 minute, and dead 5 minutes later.

Last edited:
I am still new to this, but 20 days seems kinda young to move them outside to a pen (unless you have a heat source for them out there?).

Is it possible that there are any pesticides out there?

EDIT: Just read your newer post... I am wondering if it's related to a niacin deficiency? The floppiness and seizures sound like what I have been researching all day (been worried about providing niacin to my ducklings).

Last edited:
Unless Niacin is in the food, I have not given my ducks anything different and they are fine.....maybe there is a poisionous weed somewhere....they have access to plenty of fresh water correct??

D'Angelo N Va. :

Unless Niacin is in the food, I have not given my ducks anything different and they are fine.....maybe there is a poisionous weed somewhere....they have access to plenty of fresh water correct??

Yes, lots of fresh water. I moved them all back inside the house, and am watching them. There was plenty of grass, and I gave them some bolting salad greens, but aside form that there was some buttercup, but that doesn't match the symptoms. There is some nigella, but that's supposed to be edible.​

Back
Top Bottom