What is lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by imaskypilot, Jun 11, 2009.

1. imaskypilot

imaskypilot In the Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Catawba, SC
    Is this when the eggs are put in the hatcher? Does it mean you can't candle them until hatch?

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    lockdown is day 18 to 21 when you never never open the bator no matter what [​IMG]

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i guess you could refer to it as that [​IMG] i always thought it meant "lights out and in your cells" in prison....

i've handled eggs during the hatch, but i keep it at a minimum and ONLY if i have to, to refill the water pans and such. [​IMG] a lot of people say you NEVER EVER EVER open the incubator, but i do it and it doesn't seem to effect anything much as long as your temp doesn't swing around a whole lot.

4. imaskypilot

May 18, 2009
    Catawba, SC
    Thanx

Yeah - it seems that you would have to open to add water and maintain humidity!

5. Freckle Face Farm

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    I never open I use a syringe and a mcdonalds straw if i need to up the humidity... [​IMG]

6. Bullet

Bullet Songster

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    I've opened my bator many times during 18-21 and I haven't had any problems!

7. imaskypilot

May 18, 2009
    Catawba, SC
    I think I'll take the safe route as it is my first time, soda straw & syringe it is. Thanx to all.

8. Freckle Face Farm

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Good LUCK to you on your first Hatch!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If you fill your water troughs on day 18, you should not have to open it again until the hatch is over. I never found a need to open it until the chicks are fluffy and ready to be moved to the brooder. Good luck with your hatches. [​IMG]

10. DANNY

DANNY Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    It will not hurt to open the incubator. Some people make way too much of this and scare inexperienced people into being paranoid about it. The onlly thing it does when you open the bator is you loose a little heat and humidity. The humidity is easily replaced by spraying the eggs with warm water before you close it back up and as far as heat goes it only takes a few minutes for the incubator to heat back up. Folks don't need to worry so much and have a little fun with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: