What is Lucy? and why is she not laying???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AZ_HenHouse, Nov 12, 2011.

1. AZ_HenHouse

AZ_HenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    A teacher at my daughters school hatched out eggs last spring (March) and my kiddos got 4 of them. 2 roos that had to be rehomed (they were very pretty but also very loud) city says no roos. So we are left with 2 small black chickens. Someone said they thought they were cochins. You all seem to know so much I thought I would check with you. She is the boss of our flock even though she is the smallest bird we have (except 4 little babies). She has black eyes and eveything is black. Also not a good layer-thought she might have laid an egg once but I think it was the other bantam since we have not had any little eggs since the other batam went broody and hatched eggs.
    Her feathers have a beautiful irridescent(sp) green to them.
    [​IMG]

Here she is next to one of the younger girls.
    [​IMG]

2. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    She looks like a Sumatra hen to me. I think they're the only breed with black combs and wattles.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    she looks like a mix to me... (SumatraXCochin?) the amazing thing is, she is entirely BLACK... comb, wattles etc...

I'll take her off your hands if you don't want her.

You can PM or e-mail me! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'd go with SumatraxCochin as well -- she's got the complete blackness of a Sumatra and the feathered legs of a Cochin. She's beautiful! [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I too agree with Sumatra X.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:A Sumatra with a single comb & feathered legs? I don't think so. A mutt for sure.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    shes a pretty mix

8. AZ_HenHouse

Nov 2, 2011
    Thank you for your help. She is such a doll and so funny to watch. She has been one of our favorites from the start. Just didn't know what she was (or mixed with) since she was all black. She might be little but she is the boss of the backyard.

9. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    That is a pretty hen, a reason why she might not be laying is that she is younger, all hens lay at different times.

10. AZ_HenHouse

Nov 2, 2011
    Quote:She is actually the oldest one we have. Her and her hatch mate were hatched in March. The sibling (they look a lot alike but Star is plumper and not all black) has been laying eggs and then went broody and hatched out 6 chicks that are almost 2 weeks old. We have 4 others that are younger by 3-5 weeks that have all started laying (BR, RIR and BO). I am not too worried about it yet, figure she will lay when she is ready. Just curious when do I start to worry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by