What is my breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jomcpherson92, Feb 4, 2013.

1. jomcpherson92

jomcpherson92 New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    [​IMG]

This is one of my two chooks I own, they're roughly 2 months old. The other is white, but I don't know their breed. They're fairly large, this chooks foot is almost as big as the palm of my hand. They were given to me as 'giant chicken's' I was also wondering how can I tell gender? This one has a larger comb than the other one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jomcpherson92

jomcpherson92 New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    [​IMG]
    this is how big it's foot is.

3. jomcpherson92

jomcpherson92 New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    [​IMG]

Here's the other chook, not nearly as big as the first one.

[​IMG]

I have a feeling the bigger one is a male.

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Never seen anything like them, they look like meat bird hybrids, and I think you're right that the first one is male (bigger body, bigger comb). I can't see their feathers too well, but roosters will develop pointed feathers on their necks and just before their tail called hackle and saddle feathers.

5. jomcpherson92

jomcpherson92 New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    I was thinking they were meat chickens because of their size. I've never had chickens this big, I'm use to Australorps, Leghorns, Wyandottes and some small hybrids.

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    They are meat birds one male one female. I am not sure of the cross they used to get them, but they are very similar to CornishXRock birds, but have something with barred feather pattern in the mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by