What is my chick doing?? Is it okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lil_chick_chick, Apr 1, 2009.

1. lil_chick_chick

lil_chick_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    My chick is in the cage with all the rest and we were sitting there watching them just now and all of sudden one of my older chicks ( a couple weeks old) was sitting on a small branch in the cage and he kept opening him mouth like he was gasping for air it looked like and his neck was like vibrating, and he continued for a few min. but at the same time he looked like it wasnt nothing major b/c he started eating and drinking and walking around, what was this it was doing?

2. Yoshii

Yoshii Chillin' With My Peeps

Panting, like a dog. It might be too hot in the incubator, do you have a thermometer? Or, he might have just been panting, they do that occasionally xD.

3. UrbanFarmChix

UrbanFarmChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Portland, OR
    My chicks did this more when they were younger. It's kinda like a yawn. Anyway, I read up on it and they were just stretching their crop. I added some chick grit and that seemed to take care of it. :)

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    sounds like a yawn to me, which freaked me out when mine started doing it too, but nothing to worry about. Also, it COULD be a little roo, trying really early to crow. I have read posts on here about that, and that's what it looks like. Did he/she make any noise?

5. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Mine have done the same thing and I paniced but all is well. I am going to get some chick grit though after reading one of these posts.

I was never a worry wart with my three kids as infants but you'd never know that judging from behavior with my six chicks. I am always worried about them. [​IMG]

6. lil_chick_chick

lil_chick_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    he didnt make any noise when he did it, but im thinking thats what he was trying to do was crow...i dont think it was a yawn though, i seen the rest yawn and it didnt quite look the same, i been keeping an eye on him though but im thinking maybe he was trying to make some kind of noise.

7. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    could be an early crower, then [​IMG] keep an eye on him and let us know when he starts to make real noise!

8. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I have chicks do that all the time. He's fine.

9. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    hmmmm...odd.
    I have a 3 week old BO that's been doing that too. And it's the one that I am already suspecting might be a cockerel.

10. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    I had the same problem and just knew that one baby chick was going to die. Read my post here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=151192
    However, she made it and I think my breeder was right: since she was the smallest, she got buried under the group (it was really cold that week). Good luck!

Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by