We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

What is my chicken saying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stargeer2, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Stargeer2

Stargeer2 Chirping

Jul 13, 2019
    Churchville, NY
    While I'm fully aware that no one here is probably able to actually speak chicken. I was wondering if anyone knew what this sound meant? My one chicken that seems a bit angrier as of late keeps making this sound. Is it hostility? Warning? Fear? Anger? I don't know.. but I want to try to support my chickens if it's something she's trying to tell me. She started making this noise very intermittently after half the flock was killed, but now that we got her new flockmates, she makes this noise all the time without regard to time of day. She has plenty of food and water... Any thoughts?

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    I generally hear that in situations in which the bird is acting curious about a new object and/or expects a treat. I doubt it's hostility, and it's definitely not fear—look at her body language.

Stargeer2 and sourland like this.
  3. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Mine make those sounds a lot. She is happy and possibly found something to eat.

Stargeer2 and sourland like this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Contentment sounds - she is enjoying life once again.

Stargeer2 likes this.
  5. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    I speak chicken lol. She is saying,

Oh what a lovely place I live in and where can I lay an egg? Lol yep content as can be. She missed her old buddies and glad for the new ones but listen here, chicks, I am the boss!

MountainWoman73 and Stargeer2 like this.
  6. Stargeer2

Stargeer2 Chirping

Jul 13, 2019
    Churchville, NY
    Thank you everyone for the input! She definitely does quite frequently expect treats... My wife got a 50lb bag of cracked corn that they DEMAND to eat out of our hands... Haha thank you for assuaging my worry!

legojenn and BantyChooks like this.
  7. legojenn

legojenn Chirping

Feb 10, 2018
    Aylmer QC
    It’s always a happy feeling when you worry about your what your bird is doing and all it means is that she’s thriving.

Helloworld and Stargeer2 like this.
  8. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Watch corn if it is hot!

Stargeer2 likes this.
  9. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

She's just happily chatting away, that is always a good sound. :)

Stargeer2 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: