1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is my chicks sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Parkourpeep, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Parkourpeep

Parkourpeep Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2015
    I have three chicks, one I think is a buff Orpington, another I think is RIRx buff Orpington, and a Cochin bantam x buff Orpington. Any ideas for sexing them? Any ideas about sexing the certain breeds listed would help as well. Also they are 2 and 1/2 days old.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Pictures would help.

3. Parkourpeep

Parkourpeep Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2015
    [​IMG] [​IMG]buff orp,[​IMG]buff Orpington Cochin bantam mix, [​IMG] [​IMG] RIR buff Orpington mix

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Most of the time, a guess cannot be made with any degree of accuracy until 6 to 8 weeks old. Chicks red combs before 10 weeks old are cockerels. Pullets don't start to turn red in the comb until they are almost ready to lay eggs. A darker shade of red or buff on the wings/shoulders (once they feather in) is also an early indication of a cockerel.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree...these chicks are far too young to sex as they are not auto-sexing breeds or sex link hybrids.

The best indicator as Junebuggena stated is comb size and color.

RIR's usually telecast pretty early with the boys getting noticeably larger, redder combs by 6 weeks, definitely by 8 weeks.

BO's and Cochins however are slower to develop, with a lot of similarity between the male and female feathers until the final sex feathers come in for the male. Some of those you almost have to wait for a crow or an egg.

You have hybrid mixes, and it all depends on how the genes fell as to whether the RIR development or the BO or Cochin development follows through.

I do find with my hybrids that overall both the boys and girls develop a bit faster than either parent stock (if purebred)...has to do with hybrid vigor.

Hopefully you'll have some indication by 6 weeks with certainty by 8 or 10.

LofMc

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Much too early. Agree with Junebuggena & Lady of MC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by