What is my duck doing?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gypsy-Girl, May 26, 2016.

1. Gypsy-Girl

Gypsy-Girl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    Coeur d'Alene
    Well, I've been looking over some other threads about duck behavior, but I couldn't find anything that explains what my Ducks are doing! I have a small flock of Khakis and Welsh Harlequins. Every once in a while they sidle up to me and start looking for treats, nibbling my fingers, and nosing my hands. But now some of the drakes do this 'neck thrusting thing' over my hand and up my arm! It's a very quick sharp movement. It doesn't seem aggressive, but I don't know. Anyone have any ideas?

2. lovemy mallards

lovemy mallards Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    MARION COUNTY TN
    That's weird !I would like that answer my female pekin done it a couple times about a few weeks back!

3. Gypsy-Girl

Mar 13, 2016
    Coeur d'Alene
    It certainly is an unusual sight! :)

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Could I get a photo?

5. Gypsy-Girl

Mar 13, 2016
    Coeur d'Alene
    I could try, but it's such a fast, fluid movement that I don't know if I can capture it properly.

6. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I've seen my hens do this to each other , to me and to my husband.

I interpret it as "I'm so excited (in any number of ways) and I like it (it can be anything from treats to one particular duck)

When my hens do this to each other they stick the necks over the chosen hen's preening gland. Then they start hanging out together.

We never interpreted it as aggression. It just means you have a new admirer and an open invitation to join the flock.... And if you wanna bring a bag of peas with you that would be super cool too :)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. Gypsy-Girl

Mar 13, 2016
    Coeur d'Alene
    Very cool! It's nice to know those treats are appreciated[​IMG]and yeah, they love those peas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by