What is my duck doing?!

Gypsy-Girl

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
Coeur d'Alene
Well, I've been looking over some other threads about duck behavior, but I couldn't find anything that explains what my Ducks are doing! I have a small flock of Khakis and Welsh Harlequins. Every once in a while they sidle up to me and start looking for treats, nibbling my fingers, and nosing my hands. But now some of the drakes do this 'neck thrusting thing' over my hand and up my arm! It's a very quick sharp movement. It doesn't seem aggressive, but I don't know. Anyone have any ideas?

I've seen my hens do this to each other , to me and to my husband.

I interpret it as "I'm so excited (in any number of ways) and I like it (it can be anything from treats to one particular duck)

When my hens do this to each other they stick the necks over the chosen hen's preening gland. Then they start hanging out together.

We never interpreted it as aggression. It just means you have a new admirer and an open invitation to join the flock.... And if you wanna bring a bag of peas with you that would be super cool too :)

Last edited:
I've seen my hens do this to each other , to me and to my husband.

I interpret it as "I'm so excited (in any number of ways) and I like it (it can be anything from treats to one particular duck)

When my hens do this to each other they stick the necks over the chosen hen's preening gland. Then they start hanging out together.

We never interpreted it as aggression. It just means you have a new admirer and an open invitation to join the flock.... And if you wanna bring a bag of peas with you that would be super cool too
smile.png
Very cool! It's nice to know those treats are appreciated
wee.gif
and yeah, they love those peas!

Back
Top Bottom